• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest Key, Weakest Story?

52 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Lt. Eckhardt said:

I've heard folks on the boards in the past talk about the Hulk 181 story not being all that amazing.  For example, it's kind of simplistic and feels like it's geared toward younger readers etc.

It's still better than issue 271, which is creatively geared towards sucking as badly as possible in every way.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/17/2017 at 11:31 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Werewolf by Night 32

Currently very expensive, also very mediocre

Yep.

Batman 222 takes a nice 2nd place to that as well, but may deserve a mulligan since is a written in the silly Silver Age style.  

1 hour ago, Lt. Eckhardt said:

I've heard folks on the boards in the past talk about the Hulk 181 story not being all that amazing.  For example, it's kind of simplistic and feels like it's geared toward younger readers etc.

It may not be amazing, but I don't think it belongs in this discussion.

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It may not be amazing, but I don't think it belongs in this discussion.

Fairly typical, average, Bronze Age slugfest comic.  There are many far worse.

I LOVE FF #1; probably one of my favorite key issue stories.
In 25 pages Jack and Stan revolutionized comics.  I'd argue that without FF #1 we wouldn't have Denny O'Neil/Adams' Green Lantern, Miller DD or Dark Knight, Starlin's Captain Marvel or Warlock, etc.
Before FF 1, comic heroes were, for the most part, one-dimensional cardboard cutouts.
What Jack and Stan did in one book - introduce multiple characters, establish their relationship and personalities, tell their origin, introduce and confront their first villain, tell the villain's origin story and defeat the villain, all while continuing the character development (unheard of in comics at the time) - would take a six issue (at $3.99 a pop), made-for-trade-paperback, story arc nowadays.
Jack and Stan did it in one 10¢ book; clear, concise, and effective storytelling.

an old post of mine:   

Here is my 2 cents on Fantastic Four #1:
A wonderful cover that presents the four characters, conveys their abilities, and gives a teaser of the story-line, all at a glance.
A 13-page chapter 1 that, in the first 8 pages, individually introduces the characters and firmly establishes their personalities, followed by a 5 page origin tale that shows how they received and first discovered their powers, while continuing the character development through the narrative of how these four personalities could be in conflict and yet join together in a common goal.

A 6-page chapter 2 that introduces the threat of the Moleman and shows our heroes in their first adventure travelling to Monster Isle, fighting a Monster (why not?) and confronting their first super villain.

The final 6-page chapter continues with more monsters and more character development. I love panels 3 and 4 on page 21 after the Thing dispatches a big ugly threatening Sue;
BEN: “What did you expect?? I’m THE THING, ain’t I??” “Now let’s go and find that skinny, loudmouthed boy-friend of yours!”
SUE: “Oh Ben—if only you could stop hating Reed for what happened to you!”
Then we get a 1-page pathos filled origin of our villain, followed by more fighting, more monsters, and the Moleman's defeat by our heroes.

Though the art may be primitive compared to Kirby’s later work, his dynamic layout and pacing is clearly evident. For example the first 6 panels on page 23 of the story, where the Moleman and Reed spar with staffs, the action flows seamlessly from panel to panel. I could tell exactly what was happening on the page at first glance, without even reading the accompanying text. Clear, concise storytelling that just got better and better as Jack and Stan continued with the series. Beyond Jack’s powerful penciling and creativity, beyond Stan’s dramatic and flowery prose, Stan and Jack were consummate storytellers. Fantastic Four #1 is a great beginning to a fantastic story.

And isn’t that what comics are all about? 

...Yeah, I know this post runs contrary to the topic's theme, but I gotta defend one of the best books of all time.:sumo: 

Edited by Unca Ben
punctuation and clarity

It's gotta be something from the Golden Age, no?   There were some real dogs.  Or maybe a DC Silver book.  Some pretty corny/bad stories there.

No chance is FF 1 anywhere near this discussion.  Great "defense" of the book, UncaBen.  Your breakdown of it is perfect.

On 3/19/2017 at 8:43 AM, chrisco37 said:

It's gotta be something from the Golden Age, no?   There were some real dogs.  Or maybe a DC Silver book.  Some pretty corny/bad stories there.

No chance is FF 1 anywhere near this discussion.  Great "defense" of the book, UncaBen.  Your breakdown of it is perfect.

It has been so long since I read it (in Jules Pfeiffer's History of the Comics, I believe) - but my vote is Flash Comics #1.  If I remember correctly, the GA Flash straight up murders some bad guys in the last couple pages.  

Edit: Not really. He escapes death where the one bad guy murders the other three, and then he kind of runs the 4th guy off the road, which is probably manslaughter or something.  but my vote still stands, the dialogue, grammar and syntax are horrific.

Edited by seanfingh
Went back and read the 1st story

I will go the opposite way the best I have read was SC4!! And the worst that comes to mind for me was BB28.....don't get me wrong great series but boring 1st story.....my exceptions where maybe to high.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

On 3/17/2017 at 10:49 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Detective Comics 27.  Atrocious artwork.  The only way that guy could've improved his quality was if he'd just given up and got someone else to draw for him instead.

Blasphemy I tell you!!

Showcase #6  first Challengers of Unknown. Very pedestrian from Kirby, and this is proof why Stan Lee was important when Kirby does the FF#1.

All those Kirby Challengers were like a real challenge to get thru.

showcase-6.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

36 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Another silver age key that was tough to get thru was Brave and Bold 34 first silver age Hawkman by Gardner Fox and Joe Kubert.

For years I heard how great these Silver Age Hawkman were. Pedestrian at best,even the Kirby Challengers of Unknown were better.

88b2ee308ad252aacfe5ab8f8a7c367c.jpg

Some superb Joe Kubert art in those issues, at least.  Classic rendition, never bettered.

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

+1

complete b-sheiit

If that's about my Tec 27 post, then it's a shame you don't get irony or know anything much about Bob Kane's career progression.

Edited by Ken Aldred