• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In before the lock: My wife puts me on a "Comic Time-Out."
1 1

91 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2017 at 2:09 PM, NoMan said:

My wife encourage all of it and more! She just said it's now time to chill a bit. And then today eating out at lunch she said, "If it's above 1k we have to talk about it, lower then that go ahead!"

Miller HG newsstand run, look out. 

You let your wife control your life? 

9 hours ago, CrazyQuinn said:

My ex, who I was with for 6 years, did not collect anything at all. Very much the anti-collector you could say. Very minimalist. I am a young woman with a career and make enough money to spend a bit here and there on things, but it got to a point in our relationship where he became money obsessed. I hid my purchases whether it was clothing or books, because I knew I would have to JUSTIFY to him why I spent my money on it or why I felt I needed it. It would always turn into an argument of me HAVING to get rid of x amount of things before I was "allowed" to bring anything into the house, (purchases that were only ever made with my own money, by the way. Him buy me a book? Don't make me laugh.?)

Point I'm making is, when I decide to commit to my next relationship, it is going to have to be with someone who appreciates the "collectors soul." It seems to me your wife is reasonable and pretty understanding. I recently put myself into a "buying time-out" after going on a bit of a buying binge!! Haha

My wife is beyond amazing.

10 hours ago, CrazyQuinn said:

My ex, who I was with for 6 years, did not collect anything at all. Very much the anti-collector you could say. Very minimalist. I am a young woman with a career and make enough money to spend a bit here and there on things, but it got to a point in our relationship where he became money obsessed. I hid my purchases whether it was clothing or books, because I knew I would have to JUSTIFY to him why I spent my money on it or why I felt I needed it. It would always turn into an argument of me HAVING to get rid of x amount of things before I was "allowed" to bring anything into the house, (purchases that were only ever made with my own money, by the way. Him buy me a book? Don't make me laugh.?)

Point I'm making is, when I decide to commit to my next relationship, it is going to have to be with someone who appreciates the "collectors soul." It seems to me your wife is reasonable and pretty understanding. I recently put myself into a "buying time-out" after going on a bit of a buying binge!! Haha

Very well said CrazyQuinn. "Someone who appreciates the "collectors soul"......" 

I like that. And have liked that! :cloud9:

12 hours ago, CrazyQuinn said:

Words of warning should you pair up with another collector, you'll need a large house. 

My wife is a collector of things as well, and it leads to having a lot of stuff. :p

11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Words of warning should you pair up with another collector, you'll need a large house. 

My wife is a collector of things as well, and it leads to having a lot of stuff. :p

Indeed. My wife's the same so I had to hire a storage unit.  She hates it living in there. 

13 hours ago, CrazyQuinn said:

Putting oneself into a "buying time-out", how does one do that?? I mean, the comics might just pop up for the grab, and money exist on my account. Food  expenses can be reduced, ramen is a good staple food for any collector, right? You just don't "not buy comics". It's unheard of! hm

41 minutes ago, Ssantoss said:

Putting oneself into a "buying time-out", how does one do that?? I mean, the comics might just pop up for the grab, and money exist on my account. Food  expenses can be reduced, ramen is a good staple food for any collector, right? You just don't "not buy comics". It's unheard of! hm

Hahaha Believe it or not, it has actually been going well for me!! Mainly since I recently moved and had some big purchases that depleted my spending fund greatly. But trust me, if anything pops up on that ebay following list that i've had my eye out for, I will be considering it! :) How about I rephrase, I am not actively seeking out anything and spending more time considering before pulling the trigger--so that's my "time out"! Hehe

With me so long as it looks like I am selling stuff she isn't going to give me grief, so long as she isn't seeing packages showing up at the house too frequently.

I go to NYCC and blow a grand with her full blessing, but she expects me to be selling my pants off in the following months.

9 hours ago, CrazyQuinn said:

Hahaha Believe it or not, it has actually been going well for me!! Mainly since I recently moved and had some big purchases that depleted my spending fund greatly. But trust me, if anything pops up on that ebay following list that i've had my eye out for, I will be considering it! :) How about I rephrase, I am not actively seeking out anything and spending more time considering before pulling the trigger--so that's my "time out"! Hehe

Yeah as much as myself and a lot of others "Want everything we see" you really have to be more selective and focused.  Sticking to a want list really has helped.    

On 3/19/2017 at 8:46 PM, CrazyQuinn said:

Just curious, how many PM marriage proposals have you received so far?

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

Just curious, how many PM marriage proposals have you received so far?

Probably none - people on the boards only go after married women:x

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm available for extra-marital clowning around...., :D

4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Separate accounts is how we roll.  

We share. I spend a bomb on comics and she calls me account. 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

that was a long time ago.  i'm sure many of our wife-less counterparts have fantasies about finding that perfect woman who loves to rummage through 50 cent boxes.