• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the modern Bernie Wrightson,Adams,Byrne,Miller,Perez,Smith,Starlin and McFarlane today?

107 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

I think this can happen on modern titles occasionally. Have you seen Nate Simpson's NONPLAYER? Blown away. Now he has only done 2 issues in a few years, but...

My first reply in this thread was speaking to modern masters, truly great great artists. I think Dell'Otto and Hughes are great pinup artists but cover to cover is another story. (Secret War was forever ago and whatever happened to All Star Wonder Woman?) I should have included Mignola though, I agree on that for sure.

I am looking for modern cover to cover artists who are great storytellers like Frank Miller or Jim Starlin were. Pin up artists are a dime a dozen and they had a lot to do with most comics in the 1990s being dreck.

I have not checked out NONPLAYER by Nate Simpson yet,but I will. I think it is on Comixology.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Chris Samnee

Steve Epting

Skottie Young

Gabriel Hardman

Edited by Ken Aldred

Tom Raney is my favorite current artist working for the big two. but I would hesitate to call him a modern master. Even if he is, he really doesn't deserve to be elevated above the masses yet even though I think his line is fantastic and that he has his own style that shines through whatever work he is doing. Similarly, I think some of the names mentioned are on the same level as Tom, great artists who can really draw but not deserving of elevation about the masses. (Sorry Tom.)

I mean Dean Motter, Carl Potts, Steve Leialoha...these guys are personal favorites of mine and great artists. But I don't see them as necessarily being among the greats of their age in a "Hall Of Fame" or "Mount Rushmore" type of way.

So who ARE today's greats of tomorrow?

Edited by Bird
ask last question

25 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Chris Samnee

Steve Epting

Skottie Young

Gabriel Hardman

I think this is funny as I loooove three of these guys but the fourth I consider just below journeyman. And no, it is not Young (which I mention as his style is so dissimilar to the other three). But by and large, Ken, we seem to have very similar tastes in modern guys.

My wife follows Hardman on twitter ever since he gave our youngest a rather detailed free sketch. I used to send her out with the little one and her sketchbook and be amazed at what returned.

Samnee is the bee's knees aw well.

I had high hopes for Mitchell Bretweiser but haven't been watching enough to see how he has been doing. Andy MacDonald is slowly but surely getting more work and more recognition; I love his style. 

Edited by Bird
added stuff after Samnee

I think that the focus should be on who has been influential in the past 2-3 decades.. Not trying to win argument points here, just trying to make this topic relevant to the lack of artistic INFLUENTIAL talent in modern comic book art..

To demonstrate: C. C. Beck, Kirby, Frazetta, Kurtzman, Eisner, Adams (both Neal & Art), Miller... These are the names of some comic book greats who have shaped and made comic books look and read the way they do today. I fail to see ONE artist or storyteller who has had equal influential strength on others in modern history. 

There are plenty of good artists who's art is respected in the medium. Not one of them is revolutionary 

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

I think that the focus should be on who has been influential in the past 2-3 decades.. Not trying to win argument points here, just trying to make this topic relevant to the lack of artistic INFLUENTIAL talent in modern comic book art..

To demonstrate: C. C. Beck, Kirby, Frazetta, Kurtzman, Eisner, Adams (both Neal & Art), Miller... These are the names of some comic book greats who have shaped and made comic books look and read the way they do today. I fail to see ONE artist or storyteller who has had equal influential strength on others in modern history. 

There are plenty of good artists who's art is respected in the medium. Not one of them is revolutionary 

I think it is hard to see who is influential as they are working, much easier in hindsight. But I go back to my first answer, JHW3 baby! Now whether or not people follow his lead on panel/page structure is not up to him but I think he is doing his part on trying to expand the way story is told with words and images.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Many revolutionary artists are unappreciated in their own time - of course many ARE appreciated too, but even those who are seen as giants in their own time often grow greater as their influence spreads throughout the subsequent generations. We have a long list of great influential iconic comic artists today because we have the luxury of looking back 60+ years and finding the dozen or two greatest-of-the-greats. Clearly it's harder to do that only going back 20ish years because the newer artists are still establishing themselves. Very rare is an artist who comes onto the scene and immediately impacts the scene (e.g. N.Adams, Frazetta). How many such artists are there over the span of 60+ years will make the current generation obviously pale in comparison.

Edited by jcjames

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I think that nowadays the focus is on covers more than interior art. most of today's covers are what sell the book. 

The last time I read and marveled at a comic book's art from cover to cover was during the Pacific run of Twisted Tales and Alien World. 

I agree with you. Monetarily artists don't want to do monthly books anymore they want to covers. Its quicker and more profitable with wider deadlines.

Many of these cover artists haven't had to actually do monthly books for any amount of time and meet deadlines only Hughes I can think of has done it with any consistency.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Tom Raney is my favorite current artist working for the big two. but I would hesitate to call him a modern master. Even if he is, he really doesn't deserve to be elevated above the masses yet even though I think his line is fantastic and that he has his own style that shines through whatever work he is doing. Similarly, I think some of the names mentioned are on the same level as Tom, great artists who can really draw but not deserving of elevation about the masses. (Sorry Tom.)

I mean Dean Motter, Carl Potts, Steve Leialoha...these guys are personal favorites of mine and great artists. But I don't see them as necessarily being among the greats of their age in a "Hall Of Fame" or "Mount Rushmore" type of way.

So who ARE today's greats of tomorrow?

I love Raney's stuff, but he doesn't work enough. It might not see his work for a couple of years. I loved his Thor work.

15 minutes ago, deadleg said:

Arthur Suydam is awesome but he is more of just a cover artist these days. 

I always think of Arthur Suydam as an artist from Wrightson's peak era, rather than a modern artist.

His art was a highlight of early Heavy Metal magazine.

Then again, I am that old.lol

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Many revolutionary artists are unappreciated in their own time - of course many ARE appreciated too, but even those who are seen as giants in their own time often grow greater as their influence spreads throughout the subsequent generations. We have a long list of great influential iconic comic artists today because we have the luxury of looking back 60+ years and finding the dozen or two greatest-of-the-greats. Clearly it's harder to do that only going back 20ish years because the newer artists are still establishing themselves. Very rare is an artist who comes onto the scene and immediately impacts the scene (e.g. N.Adams, Frazetta). How many such artists are there over the span of 60+ years will make the current generation obviously pale in comparison.

Actually Neal Adams was considered a threat by many artists in his time, being that he had adapted Photorealism techniques. And if you look at many of the greats that you and me mentioned, one thing that puts them together as a group of influential artists was just that - innovation. Sure, cats like Kubert, Buscema, Romita are a cut above the norm in terms of productivity and skills in the genre. But Eisner, Miller, Adams, Frazetta.. They thought outside the box.. They treated comic book as art and by doing so impacted and influenced others. And they in fact did that in a period of a few short years... Certainly not over a decade