• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Finding this Spiderman Strip

10 posts in this topic

I tried to see if I could pull it up from the Toronto Star comic strip archives but the image is broken. If you see the comments, it definitely relates to this strip, so it was syndicated in their paper. Also, there's an email icon - best bet might be to email from that page and ask if they could restore the image, but there's a chance the only option will be to buy a print. Just make sure they are aware you need it in color. There's also an online catalogue through the Toronto Public Library that might show you the strip, but I believe those are archived in greyscale mode, so doubtful it will be in colour. The link above should take you to the colour version.

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

I tried to see if I could pull it up from the Toronto Star comic strip archives but the image is broken. If you see the comments, it definitely relates to this strip, so it was syndicated in their paper. Also, there's an email icon - best bet might be to email from that page and ask if they could restore the image, but there's a chance the only option will be to buy a print. Just make sure they are aware you need it in color. There's also an online catalogue through the Toronto Public Library that might show you the strip, but I believe those are archived in greyscale mode, so doubtful it will be in colour. The link above should take you to the colour version.

Thank you so much, if you go to buy prints it appears, but the coloring is over saturated. 

IMG_2161.GIF

That would have been the true colour scheme and intensity per the colourists direction. Ink absorbency in newsprint requires that intensity, and the fact ink never dries enough is why it blackens reader's hands, smudges, etc. I have a colour guide for a Sunday strip on a paper stock that is semi-translucent, which would then be placed over a stat to align to the black line art. Each colour was coded and had to retain a certain intensity to be reflected in the final produced strip. For these reasons, it isn't accurate to say these colours are saturated, and is something that could be corrected for your requirements in photoshop.

Below is what the above ink/colour scheme might have looked like after it was printed (using a filter digitally simulating the K and N effect of newsprint):

Sunday_ASM.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

That would have been the true colour scheme and intensity per the colourists direction. Ink absorbency in newsprint requires that intensity, and the fact ink never dries enough is why it blackens reader's hands, smudges, etc. I have a colour guide for a Sunday strip on a paper stock that is semi-translucent, which would then be placed over a stat to align to the black line art. Each colour was coded and had to retain a certain intensity to be reflected in the final produced strip. For these reasons, it isn't accurate to say these colours are saturated, and is something that could be corrected for your requirements in photoshop.

Below is what the above ink/colour scheme might have looked like after it was printed (using a filter digitally simulating the K and N effect of newsprint):

Sunday_ASM.jpg

I like your version better. Now I want to find a high res, printed format version to frame with my OA strip. 

What filter in PS did you use with this strip?

It's a custom filter. I created it for an advertising campaign we were running in several newspapers where we weren't satisfied with the results from the first run. It's a simulator, but approximates the ink absorbency of newsprint, and suggests HEX codes to achieve better printing results.