• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Bernie Wrightson

15 posts in this topic

RIP Bernie Wrightson

Bernie sadly just died from brain cancer. I was his biggest fan. I am primarily a  golden age collector but my most cherished book is my House of secrets 92 autographed by Bernie whom I met a long time ago at Big Planet comics in Bethesda MD. We could only have him sign 3 books at a time so I kept getting back in line. It got to the point that even Bernie was laughing at me. Out of all the rare expensive books I own, the autographed HOS is one I will never sell.

I also had the chance to meet Berni about 15 years ago at a small convention in Ontario California.

He was very engaging and signed quite a few books for me since there was not a big crowd at the time.

I told him then and I'll say it now "Thanks for all the Great Work You Have Done".  You will be greatly 

missed and definitely one of my all time top (5) comic artist.

When it comes to Atomic Age Precode Horror, these greats come to mind: Craig, Baily, L.B. Cole, Ingels, Evans, Cameron, Maneely, Everett, Shores, Fass, Moldoff, Ditko, Simon & Kirby, Frazetta, Elias, Nostrand, Powell, Feldstein, Heath, Heck, Morales, Briefer, Saunders, and Fox. Who could say which is the greatest Atomic Age Horror artists? We could spend an eternity debating this.

There's only a few greats in the world of Bronze Age Horror. Morrow, Ploog, Adams, Dominguez, Cardy, and "Boris" come to mind.

But then I immediately think about the covers of DC 100 Page Spectacular 4 and House of Secrets 92 among a number of other classics done by the same artist and remember who was the greatest among Bronze Age Horror...

...Bernie.

14 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

When it comes to Atomic Age Precode Horror, these greats come to mind: Craig, Baily, L.B. Cole, Ingels, Evans, Cameron, Maneely, Everett, Shores, Fass, Moldoff, Ditko, Simon & Kirby, Frazetta, Elias, Nostrand, Powell, Feldstein, Heath, Heck, Morales, Briefer, Saunders, and Fox. Who could say which is the greatest Atomic Age Horror artists? We could spend an eternity debating this.

There's only a few greats in the world of Bronze Age Horror. Morrow, Ploog, Adams, Dominguez, Cardy, and "Boris" come to mind.

But then I immediately think about the covers of DC 100 Page Spectacular 4 and House of Secrets 92 among a number of other classics done by the same artist and remember who was the greatest among Bronze Age Horror...

...Bernie.

Frazetta doesn't come to mind?

I was able to meet Bernie Wrightson at Terry's show in Yorba Linda a few years ago. Showed him some of my work, and we talked about art and music, and life in general.

He's been an inspiration to me.

22 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Frazetta doesn't come to mind?

I was able to meet Bernie Wrightson at Terry's show in Yorba Linda a few years ago. Showed him some of my work, and we talked about art and music, and life in general.

He's been an inspiration to me.

Frazetta = Beware 10

...Maneely, Everett, Shores, Fass, Moldoff, Ditko, Simon & Kirby, Frazetta, Elias, Nostrand, Powell, Feldstein, Heath, Heck, Morales, Briefer, Saunders, and Fox. Who could say which is the greatest Atomic Age Horror artists

5 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Frazetta = Beware 10

...Maneely, Everett, Shores, Fass, Moldoff, Ditko, Simon & Kirby, Frazetta, Elias, Nostrand, Powell, Feldstein, Heath, Heck, Morales, Briefer, Saunders, and Fox. Who could say which is the greatest Atomic Age Horror artists

Oops!  Carry on.....:whistle: