• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple of newbie questions

7 posts in this topic

1. What makes a pedigree a pedigree, and are pedigrees worth more then a slabbed comic of the same grade?

2. What exactly is pressing a comic?

3. How do you find pedigress?

Thanks again to the fomur members for teaching me with their posts and teasing me with their pics.

YOU GUYS/GALS ROCK

KARL headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Karl, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS. If you do a search, then you should be able to come up with a lot, and I mean a lot, of information on all of the q's you have.

Ill see if i can dig up some good stuff for you.

1. Pedigrees are famous collections that have been well taken care of over the years and contain many comics that are key issues, rare comics, or full runs of famous series. Pedigree slabs can be worth more than a slab of the same comic and grade because they have a traceable history, the buyer knows how the comic has been handled and etc.

2. Pressing is a hot button issue. It is basically done to improve the appearance of the comic by flattening the comic, sophisticated pressing includes heat and very heavy presses or something, but it can be argued the same effect can be done by putting under something heavy for a long time, like a stack of other coics. Most things done to comics that improve their appearance are considered restoration, however pressing is nearly undetectable, so CGC does not consider it restoration and will not mark a pressed comic with the Purple Label of Doom.

3. I'm not sure if you mean already existing pedigreed slabs and comics, which can be found for sale on ebay, online comic stores, and bigger comic stores, as well as people's collections. Pedigrees are usually founded by people that already have a name or any kind of credibility in the business of comics. I'm sure you, or I could find a collection that would qualify, but I highly doubt it would recieve attention until it attracted the attention of a big time dealer.

finding pedigrees is an entirely different, though I'm sure we all tried. I think its best to watch out for estate and garage sales, auctions, and classified adds. You can even put out your own add in local newspapers saying your looking for them hoping some old lady will call you saying her husband just croaked and he has all these annoying things called Action Comics that have been sitting in a cool, dry, cellar since the early 40's. But be prepared from tons of others calling and saying, I have old comics, they're like from 1990, considering that was 15 years ago.

Karl, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS. If you do a search, then you should be able to come up with a lot, and I mean a lot, of information on all of the q's you have.

Ill see if i can dig up some good stuff for you.

Yeah, maybe someone with more energy than me can dig up some important threads for Karl.

A key thing about a pedigree is being a collection of comics bought at the time of publication and collected by the same person. On time of a pedigree's discovery, those books are "oringal owner" books.

Without such provenance you end up with a "collection" as opposed to a pedigree. For example, Nicholas Cage ammassed a large collection of high end books but that doies not make it the Cage pedigree, because he did not buy the books as they came out, but simply collected books from the marketplace. Same thing with the "Dallas Stephens Collection". The collector went to cons and stores and acquired a large collection of older books, but did not buy them new off the rack. Anyone can have a "collection" but a true pedigree is quite another thing.