• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are all the copies of DD #7?

19 posts in this topic

I am surprised that so few high grade copies of Daredevil #7 (first red costume) have surfaced during all the movie hype/speculation.

Does anyone have any data on what high grade copies have been selling on Ebay for?

Could it be that this is truly the rarest DD book in high grade?

Like Clobberintime just said, they just aren't around. And the ones that are are held up by serious Silver/DD collectors.

I gave that Western PA copy a shot by bidding just under 4K, but it sadly wasn't enough. I was hoping that movie hype would bring some out of the woodwork, but it's just too rare of a book in HG.

I was hoping that movie hype would bring some out of the woodwork, but it's just too rare of a book in HG.

I have always considered it to be tough in HG, but like you, I thought the movie hype would show some up.

It is obviously much tougher than I thought and easily the hardest DD to find in nice shape.

Actually, I'd say that #2 is a little tougher.

But yea, overall DD #2 and #7 are not only the toughest DD's, but are actually among the toughest Marvels, post-1964 anyway.

why would any books just happen to be harder to find in high grade, especially with most collectors going after full runs? or is it just that - they "happen" to be tough, with no reasonable explanation?

First of all, as far as I know, this HG completist phenomenom is a fairly recent one, and was not present when these early Silver books were hitting the stands. If it was, I suspect there would be a lot more Pacific Coast or Western PA type collections out there.

There is usually some sort of explanation as to why certain books are easier to find in HG than others. In the case of DD #7, it's a dark cover, and they are notorious for defects. DD #2 is tough, but most #2's are among the tougher of their respective run like Avengers, FF and ASM. Why? Well I believe that #2's are often printed in lesser #'s than #1 issues, generally speaking, which would help to explain why less HG copies exist. So whether due to a dark color, lower print run, or many other factors that can be impossible to pinpoint, some books are just tougher than others, regardless of their age.

Also the 'keys' are usually much tougher to find in high grade because there are many collectors that collect only key issues, therefore the demand is much greater in relation to the supply.

In the case of DD #7 it was the first appearance of DD's red costume and DD #2 features a rare early appearance of Electro outside of ASM. Both these issues have a higher demand than the issues around them.

I agree, as I am one of these collectors, especially when it comes to CGC graded books. I pick and choose keys and favorite covers/issues from different runs and try to get the best copies. I'm not really concerned with completing runs.

I have a DD #7 in CGC VF/NM that I was considering selling awhile back but I can't believe how low the prices for the 8.5s on ebay. I just couldn't

sell my comic for the price I think it would bring I would just lose way too much money frown.gif anyone have any prices for recent 9.0 sales?

Have a good week,

Ericc123

As far as I know, I haven't seen a 9.0 up for sale since the fall. I would say it's a $600-$800 book depending on how nice the copy is. If I were you I'd definetly hold onto it if you can. In a couple more years, people are going to realize that there aren't many 9.0+ copies out there, and prices will solidify.

I had a 9.2 O-W that I purchased last summer. Then in September, Westernpacomics listed the CGC 9.4 Western Penn copy. Right after I saw the auction, I sold the 9.2 privately for a lot more than I paid, inorder to help build funds to grab the 9.4. It was a risk, and it blew up in my face. I set a limit of 4K, thinking that was more than enough, but the book ended at $4,945.00 which was too high for me. Haven't had another slabbed HG since, although I have a raw VF.