• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions about an order cancellation

32 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I believe it's the line after he said "Truth?"

However, I think this was poorly worded by oakman29, as this is more likely to be summed up as his opinion.

It's unfortunate because we were all expecting to see the truth here.  I mean, that's what we paid for and it was never delivered.  The bigger problem is actually the larger keyboard manufacturers.  They're the ones putting keyboards into the hands of people and enabling folks to type anything they want.  It's a shame, really. 2c 

Big keyboards strike again. Once the patent is up we can get the generic version.

21 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

my understanding is the only way a dealer will get that 1:500 variant is if they order that many copies of the regular book. So they have to order 500 copies of the regular book to get the 1:500 variant.

If they didn't get a total of 500 orders of the regular edition of the book from customers + what they order for the store they won't get the 1:500 variant and therefore can not sell it to you. Seems completely legit to me and that is why you were refunded.

I'm inclined to disagree, but the devil is in the details.  We need to know if the seller was unclear about being able to offer the variant, or if the OP didn't read the terms of the sale.  From the buyer's side, though, if you say you'll have it, you'd better have it.  Otherwise, I'm out that copy, and potentially other copies from other sellers that are now spoken for.

I think the 1000 copy thing is telling.  I'd guess that someone else preordered the variant before the closed the offer, and they'd have to buy 1000 copies to fill both orders.  That's probably what the guy meant.

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

I'm inclined to disagree, but the devil is in the details.  We need to know if the seller was unclear about being able to offer the variant, or if the OP didn't read the terms of the sale.  From the buyer's side, though, if you say you'll have it, you'd better have it.  Otherwise, I'm out that copy, and potentially other copies from other sellers that are now spoken for.

I think the 1000 copy thing is telling.  I'd guess that someone else preordered the variant before the closed the offer, and they'd have to buy 1000 copies to fill both orders.  That's probably what the guy meant.

Could be.

19 hours ago, Bird said:

I don't see this as a retailer doing their best. The retailer can buy it by ordering the comics, can pass, or can hedge their bets and try to sell it without knowing if they can obtain it. A retailer doing their best would choose one of the first two options, depending on their store and judgment. Hedging their bets is hardly doing their best; it may be the best method of profit but it is the worst method of customer service; you do not mislead me as your customer or I go elsewhere. A retailer who is honest with me about the chances of me obtaining that variant gets my business, not one who knowingly misleads me.

I can tell you've never run a comic shop.  Not many retailers are going to buy a bunch of books they don't need unless the price they are selling that variant at will cover the cost and also provide a profit.  They at least gave the OP a chance at a copy, which is more than Marvel is doing for collectors.

Edited by rjrjr

5 hours ago, rjrjr said:

I can tell you've never run a comic shop.  Not many retailers are going to buy a bunch of books they don't need unless the price they are selling that variant at will cover the cost and also provide a profit.  They at least gave the OP a chance at a copy, which is more than Marvel is doing for collectors.

There are so many smarter ways to go about it than preselling. The OP describes a situation where the retailer is out of touch with the buyer's perspective. If you ordered a limited edition car, motorcycle, or Led Zepplin remastered release and when it was released the retailer told you "although we were aware of and understood the ordering instructions/qualifications when we offered the item for sale we failed to follow those instructions/qualifications and therefore cannot provide you with the item", would you continue to pre-order through that retailer? Especially when there are other retailers readily available who do regularly obtain such limited edition product despite the difficult ordering restrictions?

That again is more typing than I typically choose to do here. There is a lot more to say about it but I will leave that to others and instead I'll ask: why ignore the free customer survey that is this thread? I have been buying comics since the drug store/head shop daze and currently buy in bulk through a local retailer and have seen many approaches to selling comics. Not one size fits all obviously but promising things you cannot deliver does not seem a good approach, especially when those things will sell quickly if you just wait until you have it in hand.

The seller advertises the book as available for sale, what needs to happen is on the online site an *asterix needs to denote that while the book is available for pre-order there are conditions that need to be met in order for the seller to have the book: IE they need to buy 500 copies of the regular book and that only happens if they have customers purchase that many copies.

As a buyer of these 1:500 type variants you need to know the condition and in my opinion should know that.

What the publishers should actually do is just make those types of books available for purchase at 500 times the cost of the regular book ( for a 1:500 variant )and that way if someone wants to buy it ( like the OP ) then they know the price and the book can then be simply ordered. I despise how the publishers punish comic stores and buyers with these ridiculous "retailer incentive" variants.

Edited by Artboy99

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

What the publishers should actually do is just make those types of books available for purchase at 500 times the cost of the regular book ( for a 1:500 variant )and that way if someone wants to buy it ( like the OP ) then they know the price and the book can then be simply ordered. I despise how the publishers punish comic stores and buyers with these ridiculous "retailer incentive" variants.

So it's somehow better for a retailer to pay $1000 for only one variant than to pay $1000 for the same variant plus 500 regular books? I don't get it.

On 4/3/2017 at 1:54 PM, Lazyboy said:

So it's somehow better for a retailer to pay $1000 for only one variant than to pay $1000 for the same variant plus 500 regular books? I don't get it.

It would be better if the publisher looked at their offering as the incentive for retailers to  buy the comic, rather than some additional limited edition manufactured collectible.   IMHO the publishers have put too much work into these incentive covers and not enough into making their product desirable.  If Dell Otto is such a hot cover artist, how about putting his art on the standard cover and doing away with the umpteen variants?  For that matter, put all these hot variant cover artists on standard comics and put out the best product possible.

Edited by rjrjr

6 hours ago, rjrjr said:

It would be better if the publisher looked at their offering as the incentive for retailers to  buy the comic, rather than some additional limited edition manufactured collectible.   IMHO the publishers have put too much work into these incentive covers and not enough into making their product desirable.  If Dell Otto is such a hot cover artist, how about putting his art on the standard cover and doing away with the umpteen variants?  For that matter, put all these hot variant cover artists on standard comics and put out the best product possible.

Agreed

10 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Sure, but my post had absolutely nothing to do with that.

11 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Dell Otto was the standard cover artist for Clone Conspiracy....I do agree though. Too many variants.