• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay purchase reeks of cigarette smoke

55 posts in this topic

Today I received an ASM lot consisting of #361-364. Picked it up for under 75 shipped. The only problem is they stink of cigarettes doh!

In the auction, it wasn't disclosed that it came from a smoke free home. Now my office stinks! I already changed the bag/boards..How would you guys handle this? Return? This is my first time having to deal with something like this.

Just now, Ovrclck said:

Today I received an ASM lot consisting of #361-364. Picked it up for under 75 shipped. The only problem is they stink of cigarettes doh!

In the auction, it wasn't disclosed that it came from a smoke free home. Now my office stinks! I already changed the bag/boards..How would you guys handle this? Return? This is my first time having to deal with something like this.

I'd return it.  May never stop stinkin

I have successfully removed odor by first running my hand across each page then putting in front of fan 5-10 min per page.  The fact that you can smell an odor means that the odor molecules are leaving the book-you just need to accelerate the process.  Don't be hard on seller-smokers cannot smell cigarette smoke so likely he was unaware it smelled so bad.

10 minutes ago, Senormac said:

I always thought you had to put each page in front of the fan for 8-12 min ?  You must have one of those super odor blowing power fans

Yes it is a SOBPF-available on Amazon.com

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Mothball love  :luhv:

http://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/moth-ball-addiction

I'm a 24 year old mother of 2 and I have this addiction...It began when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter (who is now 2 years old). I liked the smell of mothballs, and then I noticed that I also likes the smell of toilet bowl deodorizer which I've learned that they both contain Paradichlorobenzene (PDB). I started off just sniffing them, then I've began chewing them up but not eating them. It's like I can't go into the grocery store without buying them. My mom noticed how much I buy them, and she has suspicions of me using them....I don't know how to stop my addiction.

Edited by thehumantorch

I think we had a thread about this before where someone reported having success with using kitty litter and tupperware trays to absorb away the smell.

Regardless- you should not have to do this after paying good money for the books. Attic finds or super cheap pickups-- yeah, kitty litter. This case? Send it back and explain why to the seller.

kitty litter works but it still relies on the slower process of molecules detaching naturally from book blowing is much more efficient.  

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:
1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Mothball love  :luhv:

I'm a 24 year old mother of 2 and I have this addiction...It began when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter (who is now 2 years old). I liked the smell of mothballs, and then I noticed that I also likes the smell of toilet bowl deodorizer which I've learned that they both contain Paradichlorobenzene (PDB). I started off just sniffing them, then I've began chewing them up but not eating them. It's like I can't go into the grocery store without buying them. My mom noticed how much I buy them, and she has suspicions of me using them....I don't know how to stop my addiction.

Wow - I thought you were a guy.  chumley.jpg

I like the mints they put in urinals - the tastiest ones have the little holes drilled in them.  :banana:

Just now, thehumantorch said:

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Wow - I thought you were a guy.  chumley.jpg

I like the mints they put in urinals - the tastiest ones have the little holes drilled in them.  :banana:

So you can make them into necklaces.....

:luhv:

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:
1 minute ago, Senormac said:

Calm down Chumly, calm down.  Mardi Gras is over

:luhv:

i have an addiction to smelling mothballs. I do not chew them tho i buy them from the store and have found the easiest way to snif them is to them then in a sock and snif from the bottom. I have sniffed mothballs for almost 8 years now. I am 20 now. I went a couples months without them and found myself coming right back to them. I need to get over this before i lose my brain. I buy them 1 every 2 weeks and am surprised no one has caught on. I will hopefully end this bad habbit soon before its too late.

7 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

i have an addiction to smelling mothballs. I do not chew them tho i buy them from the store and have found the easiest way to snif them is to them then in a sock and snif from the bottom.

I thought the easiest way to sniff them was to pull their little legs apart.