• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC's Custom Labels
1 1

43 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I think that the point I was trying to make is that you've come out of nowhere with some very slippery slope and outlandish arguments about the negativities associated with custom labels...of which, there are what, like 3 different kinds period?  That comparison to the police cars, etc., makes me wonder if you think we should all make bug-out bags thanks to the custom labels.  There's paranoia and then there's extreme speculation and to me you're waaaaaaaay out in left field with this, my friend.  It also just seems oddly coincidental that you've made two posts, both seeming to highly criticize these labels, which makes me question the sincerity of your involvement here on the boards.  When people come on just to trash-talk CGC with their first and only posts it is a glaring red flag that is akin to someone trolling the boards.  And while I appreciate the history lesson, I lived through the '90's and all the comic companies seemed to jump on the bandwagons, not just the big 2.  I don't see custom labels as anything but custom labels...they're not going to become Skynet and take over the boards or anything (at least I think those little slips of paper are harmless, at any rate, unless they contain nano-technology that I'm unaware of).

No offense, I'm just stating what I think is the obvious but everyone is welcome to their opinions.  My biggest complaint with the custom labels is that some of them get 'cut off' by the hologram on the right (the Negan with Lucille one, in particular).  I wish that we could see his whole face on it so maybe they could be moved over slightly (but that's probably not doable design-wise).  So while I like them I wouldn't re-holder my books just to get them unless they were in the old holders and I just had to have one.  I think it's cool that CGC is trying something different at least for some of us collectors. (thumbsu

If you think what I have done is highly critical trash-talk of CGC or that either of my posts were comprised of outlandish trolling, you should probably re-read them and then perhaps re-assess your position.

In fact, I own a large number of CGC-graded books representing a substantial monetary investment in the integrity of the company and its reputation.  I very much want to see them continue to succeed because I believe that the collecting community needs a strong CGC in order to be sustainable.  I also complemented the look of the labels and said it was a good idea, if not a good decision.  There's a difference there.  I even suggested that vanity labels have the market potential to be a game-changer.

I do agree, however, with the original poster in that this crosses an ethical boundary between being a third party grading service and becoming a "manufactured collectible" as that person phrased it.  I feel that this move damages CGC's credibility somewhat.  Not irreparably so, in and of itself.  If I were indeed being "highly critical", I'd go so far as to say that this is a cheap gimmick and a desperate cash grab, but I have far too much respect for these folks to go that far.  I know how passionate they are about comic book history, collecting, preservation and grading standards especially.

I came to the board specifically because I saw the original post while researching custom comic labels, or "vanity labels" as I call them.  I had a strong opinion about them after returning from a convention this past weekend.  Is it a dissenting opinion?  Perhaps.  Still, if I am not welcome to use this forum to share my views to the company I have graded so many books with, what is the purpose of even having a forum?  I believe that the intent here is to collect the thoughts and views from a wide cross-section of the audience, so that information could be used to make better decisions about which products and services to offer in the future.

If I am wrong, and the purpose here is simply to gather sycophants and bash newcomers and dissenters, I'll just stop my post count at 3 in that case.

10 hours ago, ronnieramone said:

If I am wrong, and the purpose here is simply to gather sycophants and bash newcomers and dissenters, I'll just stop my post count at 3 in that case.

.....don't stop at three posts but please try to stop at three paragraphs in a post. :baiting:    

WTTB