• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Do

29 posts in this topic

Recently bought a book, small purchase, but it had a small scan and I didn't take a close look at it until after I had paid. Upon close review it looks like one of the corner edges has slabb damage that has resulted in an ugly color breaking crease. The book is a 9.6 and now I realize why the small cr@ppy scan may have been used intentionally. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but I have emailed the seller asking to confirm if the crease/damage is present or not. No mention was made of the damage in the write up.

Depending on how this guy responds I'm leaning towards cancelling the transaction even thoguh I should have picked up on it prior to making my bid. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Guess it depends on sellers return policy.

If he won't take returns on slabbed books,I'd guess you are screwed.

If it was an ebay transaction,you have a legal contract to go thru with the deal.

If it wasn't,then you are at the mercy of the dealer,I'd say.

You really need to ask questions before the purchase,not after.

Bill,

You are correct it is an EBay transaction and really I know I am commited to the purchase as I should have noticed prior. I was more concerned if the seller knew it was damaged and was being shifty about it, small scan, no disclosure, etc. Good news is that the seller indicated this morning that it is the scan not the book. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until it arrives but here is the scan, look at the right top edge. confused.gif

I150.jpg

My webtv uses my 31 inch tv as a moniter. It doesn't have the clarity to see small imperfections. Can't see anything wrong with this book,but as i've said,its the tv.

This is why I don't enter grading contests or buy much on ebay unless I know the sellers.

Bill,

You are correct it is an EBay transaction and really I know I am commited to the purchase as I should have noticed prior.

Ummmm....just in case the crease is there.... crazy.gif

sign-rantpost.gif ahem.....

There is absolutely no way you have to keep this book. Sorry...but a CGC 9.6 with slab damage has to advertised as a CGC 9.6 with slab damage. The seller has a responsibility to accurately advertise the book and describe it in detail. A small scan showing a minute crease just doesn't cut it. In spite of what the rest of the forumites think and feel (including you) you do not and I mean you DO NOT have to keep this book if you don't want it. Your liability ends with paying shipping both ways...but again you DO NOT have to keep this if it shows up at your door with the crease.

(Obviously I feel pretty strong in my conviction here) grin.gif

I would take the argument he knew there was a crease there and hoped the buyer wouldn't notice.

Looks like SCS to me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's your own fault though. The miswrap is clearly visible in the scan... poke2.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif27_laughing.gif

Well it sure does look like SCS damage but really bothers me is that the seller may be lying to my face for a $55 transaction then I'm going to issue my first neg with a blaze of fury. What are the chances that the book will arrive with the exact same damage when apparently there isn't any? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think he had a no return policy on slabbs but that doesn't matter I'll eat the cost either way, its my mistake, but if it is damaged I will lower the boom.

If it was an ebay transaction,you have a legal contract to go thru with the deal.

I want to clarify what you're saying. All you have to do in terms of Ebay is pay for the item, but there is nothing in the bylaws (or else it would be illegal) that states you have a completed transaction. The fact that some people sell over the internet with no returns (even with CGC books) is beyond me. I love the phrase "All sales final" because one of the components of a "sale" is acceptance by a buyer and paying for an item before physical inspection of an item does not constitute acceptance, especially if the item is not as described.

Back to the matter discussed, I think you have a legitimate beef but sometimes, you should pick the battles you fight knowing that you are not going to win all of them. If it's really not a not of money, chalk it up to experience learned. I ask for front and back cover scans of ALL cgc comics if I'm paying more than 100 bucks.

Why didn't you ask for a larger scan before paying for it? That would have cleared up the whole deal, and been easier on your blood pressure.

Because it was a last second find, I jumped on it and it was only $55 so I didn't think much of it. Its not a big deal nor is the money I just hate the fact that the guy may have outright lied to me before he even had a chance to ship it out. If he came clean I would have been happy to just cancel the transaction and call it a day.

I don't think I would go as far as have my Paypal payment returned but I used my new EBay handle so I could careless if he negs me back, he will get his. Again I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but it sure looks like SCS damage to me. Bottomline I don't like dishonest sellers trying to dump their cr@p off to others intentionally.

Without knowing who the seller is,I'm thinking that you folks are being pretty rough on him.

Is he an experianced comic seller? Is he even aware of such a thing as SCS? Most established

dealers that I see still do not accept returns on slabbed books.

I believe ebay is a buyer beware circumstance. If you have any questions or doubts,ask ahead of time.If you don't like the size or quality of scans,either don't buy or ask for a bigger scans. I don't think a small scan is reason to cancel a sale.

I don't mean to be overly harsh but buyers need to do their due diligence before they bid,not after they have already won an auction.

Its not about cancelling the sale based on a small scan, I'm prepared to eat the cost, its the principle. I asked him point blank if there was SCS damage after I had won the sale and he said "no its the scan". Bascially he is saying there is no damage but that is very suspect based on what the scan shows.

How would you feel if I sad the same thing to you and then when you received the book it was obvious that their was a color breaking crease? Probably not very happy and you would have every right to slagg me on these boards as a result. I guess we will know when it arrives but I don't do business this way and I'm certainly not going to give a dishonest seller a free pass just because I am obligated to pay for it. The book is mine but if its junk I will remind him of what he said - "no damage".

You have us at a disadvantage here,as you know who the seller is,and we don't. Is he an expert or is he someone selling a slab,as a slab.

The slab says the book is a 9.6,so thats the condition the book is in,right? The whole point of third party grading is that it is supposed to be accepted for what it is.

A new seller could easily assume that there can't be a color-breaking crease,otherwise CGC wouldn't have given it a 9.6. Nor might he know anything about SCS,which is something I don't think the market as a whole has come to accept.

But,since I am talking in the hypothetical and you are discussing a real transaction,and real money,I am bowing out of this discussion,and wish you the best of luck. hopefully the book arrives and is not what you fear it will be.

The seller has over 1200 feedbacks and seems to have sold a lot of comics, currently has 10 listed and oddly enough they all have big clear scans. I have a lot of slabbs in my collection but if I throw them up against a wall first and then list them on EBay with bent corners are they still 9.6's?

6 negatives in the last 6 months. Just looking at the last negative feedback it goes on to say:

"beware of this seller!sent replaced book in cracked slab.i returned it.no refund" foreheadslap.gif

and a few more:

"Charged $10 to ship. Spent $2.51. TERRIBLE packaging and item arrived damaged." tonofbricks.gif

"SENT PAYMENT.NEVER RECEIVED ITEM. NO COMMUNICATION AFTER MANY E MAILS. OUT $62++" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Sarcastic comments, shipment not received, accused of being liar--STAY AWAY" makepoint.gif

27_laughing.gif Oh well this should be interesting if I ever get my book. Actually I going to email this guy again and ask for a bigger scan like the one's he has for his other books. foreheadslap.gif