• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Batman #1 DRS/"RRP" Cover Misaligned?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently picked up a Superman/Batman DRS edition on eBay. It's slabbed at 9.2 and the slab is sealed but 9.2 seems very, very generous on close inspection. I'd give it more like an 8.2. There are noticable dings and scratch marks at the spine and on the edges.

What worries me is that the cover seems trimmed a little shorter than the book itself. Is a fraud possible? How would you deal with that?

Here's a picture from the listing. I'd say in person it looks slightly rougher. Notice the purple bar from the interior at the very top where the interior pages are trimmed bigger than the cover.

sbrrp.jpg

8 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

Hello,

I recently picked up a Superman/Batman DRS edition on eBay. It's slabbed at 9.2 and the slab is sealed but 9.2 seems very, very generous on close inspection. I'd give it more like an 8.2. There are noticable dings and scratch marks at the spine and on the edges.

What worries me is that the cover seems trimmed a little shorter than the book itself. Is a fraud possible? How would you deal with that?

If it was trimmed, they would have caught it and gave it a purple label. Also an 8.2? You have to be ribbing, right?

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

If it was trimmed, they would have caught it and gave it a purple label. Also an 8.2? You have to be ribbing, right?

I didn't think it was trimmed but I was concerned either about a fake slab or the possibility of a facsimile cover being applied to a standard edition of the issue. I've never seen pages stick up above a cover like that although the possibility occurred to me that a low print run book for a retailer summit might have an unusual production flow.

I'd like to think the seller was acting in good faith but I see a lot of wear.

Granted, I'm new to grading and a bit of a stickler. Probably 70-80% of the books I've submitted have been a 9.8. The others, I knew would grade lower but they were rare enough books that I thought it was worth it.

The possibility exists I don't know what a 9.2 looks like.