• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT animated movie (2018)

24 posts in this topic

Picked this up today.

It starts off a little slow, which worried me as it was coming across as some of the recent DC Animated movies where it was just going through the motions. Hang in there for the ride, as it gets SO MUCH BETTER!

You are going to see characters in roles they were never in before. There will be those that form alliances which in traditional DC history are rocky. And you will see Bruce Wayne as the detective he is meant to be.

Overall: B+ for me.

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Picked this up today.

It starts off a little slow, which worried me as it was coming across as some of the recent DC Animated movies where it was just going through the motions. Hang in there for the ride, as it gets SO MUCH BETTER!

You are going to see characters in roles they were never in before. There will be those that form alliances which in traditional DC history are rocky. And you will see Bruce Wayne as the detective he is meant to be.

Overall: B+ for me.

Awesome, thanks for the update and glad to hear that they may have turned out a winner. I never did place my order, going to do so now....

6 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Awesome, thanks for the update and glad to hear that they may have turned out a winner. I never did place my order, going to do so now....

After a few animated disappointments I was starting to get worried and avoided purchasing the films early. Something about this made me make the jump.

I'm glad I did. Just realize the early buildup in introducing characters can feel slow. There is no getting around it.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight Review

The general premise of the film is as straightforward as you would expect a Gotham Victorian styled movie would be. As Batman obviously fights crime and the biggest crime of the Victorian era is the Jack The Ripper case and that is what the film centers around. It is an intriguing film and it is not easy to work out who the Ripper is. Even Batman the worlds greatest detective has moments where he doesn’t seem to know what is going on. The best part of the film for me is that there is a lot of the typical Batman villains and they are not as integral to the plot as you would initially think.

The animation is really good and captures the darkness and dankness of the 1800’s and especially the grittiness of the Victorian era. The performance from Bruce Greenwood (Gerald’s Game) as Batman/Bruce Wayne is impressive and being Bruce’s third time voicing Batman it shows how comfortable he is in the role. Another stellar performance in this film is Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter) as Selena Kyle. The brief time their characters share on screen does express a great deal of chemistry despite being an animated film. The film was captivating and made me really want a live action version of Gotham By Gaslight. I only wish that it would be closer to the Christopher Nolan style of Batman films not the Zack Snyder version of Batman films.

Overall this is a fun film and worth your time. Even if you are not that big of a Batman fan this is a fun film as it does not feel like a tradition Batman flick. Although it does not have an overly great conclusion, the viewing experience is top notch and the performances are excellent and refined. I highly recommend you visit this Victorian styled Gotham. Just don’t walk the streets at night.

Overall Score: 4/5