• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal bizareness

8 posts in this topic

Yesterday afternoon, my email blew up with messages from PayPal saying I had "preauthorized" charges from Google. There were 15 charges, and these orders happened in the space of less than 7 minutes. I still can't figure out how it is possible to not spend more than at least a minute between each purchase on Google Play (I use a two step authentication with my PayPal), but nonetheless I contacted PayPal, Google and the charges were reversed.

Then an hour later, I saw a note for a legitimate charge which PayPal opened an unauthorized charge claim on.

This transaction took place weeks ago, and the only thing I can think of is that they saw it was sent in foreign currency and they flagged it when they went to deal with these Google charges.

The problem is that it put me in a very ackward position, as the item was already shipped me to and the deal went seamlessly.

The unauthorized claim was closed, and I contacted the seller explaining this wasn't me that opened the claim. I was hoping to possibly deal with the seller on another item, but they haven't responded and I'm concerned they thought I was trying to pull a fast one.

Has anyone had PayPal open an unauthorized claim on a charge without the account holders consent?

Edited by comicwiz

With all these scams of people doing chargebacks after a deal has been done, I hate that I've been put in this situation. I was dealing with an artists rep and now with this situation, I'm concerned they think I initiated that unauthorized claim.

39 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

With all these scams of people doing chargebacks after a deal has been done, I hate that I've been put in this situation. I was dealing with an artists rep and now with this situation, I'm concerned they think I initiated that unauthorized claim.

I would pretty much send them the content of your original post.  Reasonable people understand that spoon happens. 

I just saw that PayPal debited my bank account for eBay shipping a few times earlier this month. That is the first time that has ever happened. Ebay shipping is supposed to come out of my PayPal balance.

I've shipped a dozen or more packages since then and everything is back to normal.

Just had a customer tell me that PayPal is showing that I billed him for $XX when it was, in fact, a partial refund.

I told him not to pay and sent him the refund transaction ID just in case he has clear it up with PayPal.