• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Strips

25 posts in this topic

I used to have a pretty full set of the early black & whites (I wish I still had them).  As I recall they have a more complete origin than both Action #1 & Superman #1.

All of the early strips should have a number on them.  I think they started in early 1939.

On ebay you can buy the "dailies" book which has strips 1-966: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOOK-3-Volumes-in-One-SUPERMAN-The-Dalies-The-Strips-1-966-1939-1942-op-2006-/131499539283?hash=item1e9dfbbb53:g:ygcAAOSwBLlVMpyv

Or if you're looking for the Sunday strips buy this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-The-Sunday-Classics-Strips-1-183-1939-1943-/142195948496?hash=item211b89fbd0:g:i9gAAOSwo4pYPpaF

A little bit of online reading (reliable?) suggests that plot lines in the strips were different than those in the books ... for example, one source I read indicated Sup marries Lois Lane in the strips ... what I think is way cool is that the 135 is 4 years removed from Action 1, and Siegel and Shuster's names are there ... 

The Superman vs Giant Robots is my favorite story in the Sunday pages.  You can usually find someone selling Sunday pages on ebay.  Price isn't super high because the print run was super high.  Signed pages or original art usually sell for a lot more, especially the art.

I don't think Schuster drew any of the later pages.  This story seems to be exclusive to the Sunday pages although a panel was used for the cover of Action 36.

The adventure started with the October 20 or 27, 1940 Sunday page and ended a couple of months later.

1781625398_53d510d956_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun