• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 667 Dell'Otto Variant...

23 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, rjrjr said:

You cannot really compare them to classic keys.  Classic keys have a demand that spans a large number of collectors.  Relatively rare variants have a much smaller base of collectors, but who are just as passionate.  I believe a relatively rare book about a relevant character by a relevant artist will always have some value.  Now, whether the value remains high or fluctuates over time, nobody can really say.  But as long as Spider-Man, Batman, etc. are still around, these comics will have some demand.  The only time you need to worry is when the character fades into obscurity.  As for whether or not Dell'Otto's superstar status fades, no doubt it will eventually.  But, to what extend it fades is important.  Neal Adam is not the superstar he once was, but his books have remained in demand after all these years.

To simply dismiss these modern variants of Marvel and DC books as nothing more than a current trend would be a mistake.  As long as Marvel and DC continue to publish titles featuring these characters, someone somewhere will want to own these books, regardless of the price.  It is books featuring characters that are no longer printed that I would be more concerned with the value of.  Who is going to want to pay big bucks for a book featuring an obscure character, regardless of rarity?  The book will need much more than rarity going for it in that case.

Yeah I mean there's some variants I like, for example the black and white venom variants for the new Venom series. However, I like to spend money where I know I will make it back and then some or use to invest. Just trying to get everyone's take on whether it's a smart move to get them or not.