• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shops when they have to break the news that comics aren't worth squat.
1 1

221 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

That pisses me off... only antique dealers and lousy comic stores say that they can only sell 10 and 12 cent comics, and that everything else is worthless.  More often than not, the only back issues people like that will have in stock is Metamorpho and beat 70's Gold Keys.  If a store doesn't buy bronze and copper, they'd better have a backstore overflowing with the stuff, because if I want it and you don't carry it, you're useless to me.

We stock all eras of comics.  Our best selling era is easily CA and MA.  As much as I love SA and GA I'll happily buy all the CA and MA collections I can find.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:23 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yep,they don't wan't to believe their collection is not going to buy them that beachhouse,but more likely a case of beer.

This is not just comics though as stamps come to mind. 

I don't know how many times I heard someone say: "my grandfather just died and left me this stamp collection. He had it for 50 years,so I am guessing it is worth something?"

Looked at a collection of 30 longs of 12 to 20 cent cover price books.  This was a lifelong collection that he'd loved and enjoyed for 40 years.  Average grade was beat to hell, lowest grade collection we've ever seen.  It was almost all odd ball Disneys and there wasn't one key book.  I know if we bagged and boarded each book and covered a table with them at a show we'd be lucky to pay for the table.  We didn't really want it so we offered $30 a long or $900  and he counted at $20k.  I tried to explain why our offer was so low but he was insulted.  When I got home I sent him an email with links to sold book like his on ebay, once again explaining why our offer was so low and apologizing that we couldn't pay $1 a book.  Never heard from him again.  Sometimes you just can't agree on value and you're gonna hurt their feelings.

As I said no matter how you try to spruce it up if someone doesn't agree with what you are saying they get angry.  Unfortunately for them they will soon discover that everyone disagrees with them.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

As I said no matter how you try to spruce it up if someone doesn't agree with what you are saying they get angry.  Unfortunately for them they will soon discover that everyone disagrees with them.

Depends on the person and how far apart you are, not all get mad.

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Depends on the person and how far apart you are, not all get mad.

I've never known someone to go 'huh.  Is that all they're worth?  Thx for telling me'.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

i'm not exaggerating when i say that some of the worst of my back issues collection are better than the best issues for sale at my LCS

Sell a book an LCS owner calls a G- and it often magically transforms into a VF+ once it hits the wall.  The wall is like a comic book rejuvinator.

5 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i'm not exaggerating when i say that some of the worst of my back issues collection are better than the best issues for sale at my LCS

My LCS isn't exactly known for its fantastic back issue selection either.

What they do have from a grade perspective  is very beaten up and over priced.

Edited by piper

On 7/29/2017 at 4:51 PM, Philflound said:

I had a friend who worked for a large stamp auction house who used to sell me the majority for 40% or more off guide price, and he gave me better stuff. I was picking unused US stamps from the late 1800s-early 1900s filling in my collection. This was when I had my b&m store back in the 1990s pretty much before Ebay. When people used to come in with comic collections that were just miscellaneous, mostly Silver & Bronze at the time with some 1980s mixed in, as long as they looked decent $0.50-$1.00 per book was usually the best we paid unless there were keys in the collection which we would pull out and grade/price separately. 

I remember fondly collecting stamps and coins, as those were the first two hobbies I was into as I was introduced to them by my grandfather. For a couple of years I was into stamps and coins than discovered comics,video games and rock n roll which kind of made me lose interest in stamps and coin collecting.

I still remember a few grails of both hobbies that I think are much desired.

Inverted Jenny.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA0OC81MTgvb3JpZ2luYWwvaW52ZXJ0ZWQtamVubnktMDIuanBn

The 1933 Saint-Gaudens double eagle.

1933-double-eagle1.jpg

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

The dentist accepts cash.

How bout dat?

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

I remember fondly collecting stamps and coins, as those were the first two hobbies I was into as I was introduced to them by my grandfather. For a couple of years I was into stamps and coins than discovered comics,video games and rock n roll which kind of made me lose interest in stamps and coin collecting.

I still remember a few grails of both hobbies that I think are much desired.

Inverted Jenny.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA0OC81MTgvb3JpZ2luYWwvaW52ZXJ0ZWQtamVubnktMDIuanBn

The 1933 Saint-Gaudens double eagle.

1933-double-eagle1.jpg

I knew some dude was always saying he used to have.  "Yeah my neighbor gave us some old stamps I I took the one with the upside down plane.  Oh yeah my aunt gave me the comic where superman was lifting up a green car'.  Yeah sure buddy.

I think the best strategy when someone comes in with their Youngblood #1 is say "WOW!  That's worth a ton of money!!  Unfortunately I can't afford it but WOW.  Thx for stopping by!"

49 minutes ago, kav said:

I think the best strategy when someone comes in with their Youngblood #1 is say "WOW!  That's worth a ton of money!!  Unfortunately I can't afford it but WOW.  Thx for stopping by!"

That might be the best strategy I ever heard to deal with this. It would save lots of future headaches with customers getting mad,so if would diffuse the situation. Turn a negative outcome into a positive.

^^

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That might be the best strategy I ever heard to deal with this. It would save lots of future headaches with customers getting mad,so if would diffuse the situation. Turn a negative outcome into a positive.

^^

Then when they go well make me an offer NO WAY I WOULD INSULT YOU WITH ANY OFFER!!!