• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calgary Comic Expo 2017
3 3

178 posts in this topic

Because I wasn't tied to a booth like Karl, Dave, Brian, and Ryan, I was able to attend a handful of panels.  Of particular note were the McFarlane/Lee Panel, and the Jim Shooter one on comic book storytelling.  Say what you want about Shooter, but the man knows the art of making a comic book story.  He also happens to be a great storyteller.  I loved his Frank Miller story.  Who knows, it might even be true?

I wished that I had a chance to attend a few more panels such as the one with Kevin Smith but alas my focus was on hanging out with boardies and looking at comics (I know that's a surprise).

One last thought about the convention layout, I don't get that claustrophobic feeling that I have had when attending other large conventions (e.g. NYC).  I think they do a nice job of separating the celeb signings, panels, cosplayers, and dealers. 2c

Edited by piper

Lineups for autographs were generally short, unless you wanted McFarlane's.  People waited in line for several hours because he was signing for free.  I believe Fantastic Thor waited for four plus hours.  I would happily have paid a small fee to help shorten the line.  Speaking to those in the line, I understand his signature is much sought after, as he doesn't do many convention signings.  

I was able to meet the man on Sunday after a relatively short wait.  It was worth it!

IMG_1127_zpsujzxjaad.jpg

IMG_1129_zpsoi3ushx8.jpg

Due to the economic slow down in Alberta mentioned previously by Karl, I kept my purchases to a minimum.  I only purchased two books:

IMG_1136.JPG

The FF 48 was from 500club(Brian) and Marvel Feature 1 from Thirdgreenham (Andy).

Edited by piper

The selection of books was pretty good but nothing in comparison to a New York, Chicago, or Baltimore.

There was a smattering of Gold, and lots of Silver and Bronze.  There were mounds and mounds of Modern books and trades (which was great for my son).

Thank goodness for the boardie booth or I might not have purchased anything.

Harley had a great booth but I struggle with his grading and prices.  (shrug)

I can also report that we caught him doing a "Costanza" (aka taking a nap under the tables in the corner).  He is the hardest working dealer.  I don't know how he does it...

IMG_1135_zpsdynl75us.jpg

IMG_1134_zpsqyhjxxz0.jpg

IMG_1132_zpsa6gfnjkq.jpg

IMG_1131_zpsgr8ocxz1.jpg

I was very impressed with the quality of the costumes this year.  I didn't take as many photographs as Karl typically does but have a smattering to share...

IMG_1124_zpser2xib14.jpg