• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Star Wars #1 35 cent variant

23 posts in this topic

PGM Star Wars #1 35 cent variant

So, I have two questions here.

A)  I found this in a lot I just bought.  Guy had SEVERAL key issues from the bronze/copper age but they are all in this condition or slightly better.  Would this be a 1.0?  I'm new to grading.

B)  Is this worth trying to have pressed and/or graded and slabbed?  On the one hand it's in pretty bad condition and doesn't seem worth it BUT from a preservation standpoint (being a relatively rare issue) I think it should maybe be sealed and preserved.

starwars001.jpg

starwars002.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!  I bought the Overstreet guide to grading and am trying to learn to grade but it all seems so subjective.  

Do you think a book in this condition would benefit from pressing or is it to far gone?  I know little to nothing about CGC's pressing service.

Even in that condition it is still of value. I would not bother pressing. It is in too rough of shape. I would grade it only if you want to sell it. Other wise put it in a mylar bag with good archival backing and enjoy it.

Thanks all.  I got a Star Wars #4 35 cent variant out of the bunch also.  There was some neat stuff in there just all low grade.

Just getting back into comics over the past two years since a 10 year hiatus.  Nice having a group to talk to.

1 hour ago, AustinShepherd said:

Thanks all.  I got a Star Wars #4 35 cent variant out of the bunch also.  There was some neat stuff in there just all low grade.

Just getting back into comics over the past two years since a 10 year hiatus.  Nice having a group to talk to.

Yep save that #1 no hurry getting it graded , and then someday maybe a few years from now you will have 10 or so comics to send into CGC at one time, that Star Wars 1.0  will look 10 times 

better when in a CGC case !!

On 5/9/2017 at 1:01 PM, zhamlau said:

That looks like a 1.0 to me.

I would imagine a 1.0 would sell for 275-350 bucks. At that point its worth it.

Actually I imagine a 1.0 would sell for closer to a grand. Because it's such a low grade and therefore much more affordable, the market of possible buyers grows substantially. So you'll have a lot of people willing to spend more just to say they own a copy, compared to like a 6.5 or higher where you'll be spending in the thousands and many buyers don't want to spend that much.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 5/15/2017 at 9:16 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Actually I imagine a 1.0 would sell for closer to a grand. Because it's such a low grade and therefore much more affordable, the market of possible buyers grows substantially. So you'll have a lot of people willing to spend more just to say they own a copy, compared to like a 6.5 or higher where you'll be spending in the thousands and many buyers don't want to spend that much.

I would be in that market and I would not pay a grand for a 1.0 when I could get a 3.0 for $1,500. I think zhamlau is probably more correct pricing it at $275-350.

For those of us on a budget; we're looking to complete our set on a budget and could tolerate a rough looking rare book on the wall if it is a bargain and slabbed. If I am going to drop a grand I'm going to look for a decent shape 3 or 4 for that money.

Same for the #4; probably looking at $30-50 slabbed at a 1.0.

If it helps, here is what www.midtowncomics.com would charge for a copy in the raw. They only go down to Good/2.0 so figure a 1.0 would be even less.

Screenshot_20170821-005141.png

Screenshot_20170821-005115.png

Edited by TheMason
Link would not work, took screen shots.

7 hours ago, TheMason said:

I would be in that market and I would not pay a grand for a 1.0 when I could get a 3.0 for $1,500. I think zhamlau is probably more correct pricing it at $275-350.

For those of us on a budget; we're looking to complete our set on a budget and could tolerate a rough looking rare book on the wall if it is a bargain and slabbed. If I am going to drop a grand I'm going to look for a decent shape 3 or 4 for that money.

Same for the #4; probably looking at $30-50 slabbed at a 1.0.

If it helps, here is what www.midtowncomics.com would charge for a copy in the raw. They only go down to Good/2.0 so figure a 1.0 would be even less.

Screenshot_20170821-005115.png

Sorry but those prices from Midtown comics are a bunch of BS if you ask me. You'll notice it says out of stock for one. Guaranteed if they had one in stock they would be asking 3-4 times if not more what those prices are. The fact is there's not a lot of different when this book hits the auction block in the low grade range.

8 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Looks like a 1.0 to me.  Completely beat but not missing half the cover.

yeah I changed my mind 1.0 it is