• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whats up with cameos?

29 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I was always confused with Gambit. In the Annual he is in 17 panels, that doesn't seem to be a cameo at all!

So why is X Men 266 the book to be anointed as 1st app.

Because he is actually relevant to the story in UXM 266. Sure, Adams slipped him into a few extra panels, but he does nothing but stand around except on his first page (he talks to Storm while they are approaching/entering the facility). It's not just about quantity. Quality matters.

Here is Gambit's contribution to the issue after his first page:

Gambit-UXMA14.thumb.jpg.5d4cd874c3af812d4f5077875f1859d5.jpg

Storm doesn't even introduce him to the other characters (on panel). Luckily, she mentions his name on their first page so at least the reader knows.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Because he is actually relevant to the story in UXM 266. Sure, Adams slipped him into a few extra panels, but he does nothing but stand around except on his first page (he talks to Storm while they are approaching/entering the facility). It's not just about quantity. Quality matters.

Here is Gambit's contribution to the issue after his first page:

Gambit-UXMA14.thumb.jpg.5d4cd874c3af812d4f5077875f1859d5.jpg

Storm doesn't even introduce him to the other characters (on panel). Luckily, she mentions his name on their first page so at least the reader knows.

Did Gambit make a full appearance? Did Gambit speak, or converse with Storm? Was he named?

How many panels does it take to constitute a full appearance.(shrug)

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I was always confused with Gambit. In the Annual he is in 17 panels, that doesn't seem to be a cameo at all!

So why is X Men 266 the book to be anointed as 1st app.

I believe that issue is all about the cover.

1 hour ago, grayzr said:

I would assume if something has more value then its more important. 

Isn't that logical?

Can you provide an example of something related to something else that holds less significance but at the same time holds more value?

Which modern variant do we want to hold up as an example?  Tons to choose from...

56 minutes ago, Chunky Butterfield said:

Anything Dell'Otto, that guy is extremely overrated.

I will never understand varients.

If the cover is so beautiful why not get a print out and frame it?

I know the whole rarity thing but it still confuses me.

10 hours ago, jcjames said:

The market has spoken!  :sumo:

btw... has there ever been a reversal (or a "retcon") of the market's decision regarding 1st Appearance/Cameo? IOW, has there ever been a case where second-fiddle 1st-cameo like IH180 eventually became more valuable than the market-established 1st choice? 

I vaguely remember there was something like this regarding Sgt. Rock's first appearance in GI Combat #68, then Our Army at War #81 that later changed to #83.  I don't recall the exact details but I remember #81 and #83 flip-flopping in value.

18 hours ago, grayzr said:

What is that variation of asm 300?

Never heard of it before.

ASM 300 OA, means Amazing Spiderman 300 "Original Art". Original Art in this case would mean the original art of the cover of ASM 300 that was used to print/produce the comic----- just meaning the first Art that the comics were made from...... there is an Original Art thread/forum here on the CGC boards, where people discuss what they've bought and sold of the blueprints of comics :) whether it be a splash page ----a comic page of OA with no words, -------- OA of a cover,,,,,,or  OA with word bubbles.

I think this is what you were asking information on; Anyway hope it helps ;) @grayzr

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

ASM 300 OA, means Amazing Spiderman 300 "Original Art". Original Art in this case would mean the original art of the cover of ASM 300 that was used to print/produce the comic----- just meaning the first Art that the comics were made from...... there is an Original Art thread/forum here on the CGC boards, where people discuss what they've bought and sold of the blueprints of comics :) whether it be a splash page ----a comic page of OA with no words, -------- OA of a cover,,,,,,or  OA with word bubbles.

I think this is what you were asking information on; Anyway hope it helps ;) @grayzr

Thanks for the info.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:04 PM, rjrjr said:

I believe that issue is all about the cover.

I have always felt that the cover of a full first appearance has something to do with value. How much or how little of an effect on price though is a completely different conversation.