• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can moisture damage be pressed out?

15 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Dumb question... can moisture wrinkles be pressed or repaired in some fashion?    If yes, how is it done?

Q1: Usually. Depending on the extent of the damage, non color breaking creases or wrinkles can generally be improved by proper pressing.

Q2: Send the book to one or the pros for a press. ( CFP, CCS, Hero). 

Post images here first and many boardies will be able to tell you what might show improvement and/or if the book is worth pressing.

If you are thinking of doing this yourself, just know that proper pressing is somewhat of an art form. The real pros are not giving you a play by play as how it is accomplished, and really they should not. They have developed their skills over years of hard work. If you look in the newbie thread, there are links to several pressing threads. If you read all of them completely, you would have a good starting place as to "how" people press........ but much less time and $$$ consuming to simply go to the pros.

Edited by W16227

Absolutely they can be improved on. If there are tide lines from too much water intrusion, little can be done about those, but the wrinkles and waves can be reduced greatly or removed completely.

See the example below.

shaz.jpg

shaz2.jpg

13 minutes ago, mosconi said:

That is an amazing result!  Is there any chance some of the wrinkles or waves could come back over time, or this a permanent appearance?

The possibility exists. I hold books like this for a week or so to see if anything happens, if it does, I hit it again. That usually takes care of any reversion attempts.

Just now, joeypost said:

The possibility exists. I hold books like this for a week or so to see if anything happens, if it does, I hit it again. That usually takes care of any reversion attempts.

Thanks for the info (thumbsu

1 hour ago, mosconi said:

Great job!!  One last question, are Silver Age books more difficult or tricky to correct with similar moisture/wavy defects due to the inferior paper used in the 60's? 

Nope.

Guys -- Wow.... thanks for the great examples and info.   The wrinkles shown in the photos are very similar to the comic book creases I was thinking about.   I would definitely leave this to the pros (my "how" question was more out of curiosity).    

Kind regards,

Kirk