• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions needed - Weird Science 14 trimmed or not?

10 posts in this topic

Opinions needed - Weird Science 14 trimmed or not?

I just received this nice looking Weird Science #14.  In hand, I can see that it has been pressed before.  On the BC, there were color breaking creases that are very nicely pressed out & flat leaving the color breaks as "scratches" on the BC.  The pressing was not disclosed but I am ok with that.

My concern is that it looks like it has been trimmed on the top & right edges of the book and the interior pages.  Both edges and the pages seem extremely sharp.  However, on the front cover, the edge just above the right circular EC logo has a small "hump".  This looks like the cut was not perfect and needed to be started over.  This "hump is evident on all the interior pages as well.

Also, the book is not "square".  Both top & right edges appear to "taper".  The top edge tapers downhill toward the upper right corner and the right edge tapers inward towards the bottom right corner.

I have decided that it has been trimmed but would like an extra pair of eyes or two to confirm or point out anything that I may not be seeing or misinterpreting.  I have scanned the FC & BC with a white backing board inserted behind each in order to help eliminate the shadows and thereby see the edges more clearly.

Thanks in advance for any input!

59138d1f1d0f9_WeirdScience14F.thumb.jpg.ca2faf6d4cdb1694cf16884869c330f6.jpg59138d259054d_WeirdScience14B.thumb.jpg.762de4e05259fc0c5784cbd7ed23e0f8.jpg

I concur with the OP's assessment that the book was trimmed. It's not the fact that the top is angled but that it's razor sharp. And the 'hump' you referenced looks to be a 'mistake' started over.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I concur with the OP's assessment that the book was trimmed. It's not the fact that the top is angled but that it's razor sharp. And the 'hump' you referenced looks to be a 'mistake' started over.

+1

Also, there's quite a bit of art missing on the leading edge...usually when that's the case, there's a bunch of "white-spine miswrap" showing...but this copy has a good wrap (so that wouldn't explain the art shortage on the leading edge)...

I'm not usually one to judge a trimmed book by a scan but in this case I also feel it has been trimmed post production on top and right edge. As has been pointed out a lot of art is missing that is not made up for by a miswrap, and the too sharp top/edges, especially when contrasted with the more typical roughened bottom edge, is yet another indicator.