• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Original Art Collection Appraisal Needed

5 posts in this topic

Comic Book Original Art Collection Appraisal Needed

Hello there!

Over the years, we have obtained many pages of Original Comic Book art from various collections. We are seeking to have the pages appraised before we move forward with selling the individual pieces. If anyone with knowledge of Original Art can PM me, we have compiled a document with as much information as we could on each piece. There is approximately 192 pieces of Original Comic Book Art, along with many Color Proofs and Original Sketches etc.

Thanks so much for your time!

Considering it is 192 pages of Original Art from the 70s to the 90s. It's quite difficult to give an idea of what we have here. Hence why I am looking for someone who specializes in Original Art to help, as it is not our expertise. I would be happy to send the list to anyone interested, or if someone can direct me where who to talk to, it would be greatly appreciated.

70s to the 90s? Could be some super cool stuff in there. Could be a lot of nothing. I think what Bronty was suggesting is that the OA market is nothing like the comic market. People who collect OA (and sometimes even sellers) tend to specialize. Someone may be super knowledgeable about the 70s Buscema Conan market, and not have any real feel for the 90s Image or Marvel comics market. Mutch less know anything about the independent creator art market. Etc.

I'd think the folks that might have the best feel for a wide swath of comic OA pricing would be the dealers that have been around a few decades. But I'm not sure how eager they'll be to give you full dollar values of the pieces so you can turn around and haggle with them or be sales competition. I was thinking Burkey or Mitch, Albert, etc would have sold a lot of this kind of material and be able to give the best price approximations, but might be more inclined to just makes offers for what items they see on the list and think they could sell best? I dunno.

I think I've seen Mitch with Graphic Collectibles offer to do an appraisal for someone on this board before and mention that he'd done them before, but you'd have to check with him to see if he is even interested. Pretty sure he's offered to sell some things on consignment for people before as well?

I had Tom Horvitz of TRH gallery do an insurance appraisal for me about 20 years ago and he was one of only a few that offered such a thing regarding comic art. If I'd been gearing up to sell, I'm not sure he'd have been as keen on it.

Yes, I do appraisals of comic and illustration art.

I've done a number of private appraisals for collectors over 40 years.

Please send me a PM for more information.

Thanks,
Mitch Itkowitz
Graphic Collectibles