• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple Tears

8 posts in this topic

Staple Tears

Does this level of "Staple Tear" appear excessive for a "9.4"?  This picture is of the top staple as you can tell and the bottom staple presents a bit less tearing.......Thanks.

DD_62_excerpt.jpg

Edited by JohnFranklin

20 minutes ago, JohnFranklin said:

Staple Tears

Does this level of "Staple Tear" appear excessive for a "9.4"?  This picture is of the top staple as you can tell and the bottom staple presents a bit less tearing.......Thanks.

DD_62_excerpt.jpg

IMO, yes, it is excessive for a 9.4. I think I see staple oxidation also ? Staple tears are tricky because they can get worse in the slab, from banging around in shipping to just gravity while storing vertically.  BTW, if this were my book, I would store it flat = less stress on the staple area.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, yes, it is excessive for a 9.4. I think I see staple oxidation also ? Staple tears are tricky because they can get worse in the slab, from banging around in shipping to just gravity while storing vertically.  BTW, if this were my book, I would store it flat = less stress on the staple area.

It looks to me that there was some damage to that book after it was slabbed.  Sometimes with rough handling, the book will move but the cover is kept in place by the front of the slab.  The result can be some of the damage seen on this book.  Can't believe the book would receive a 9.4 as it is now.

50 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It looks to me that there was some damage to that book after it was slabbed.  Sometimes with rough handling, the book will move but the cover is kept in place by the front of the slab.  The result can be some of the damage seen on this book.  Can't believe the book would receive a 9.4 as it is now.

I think if the OP can show us a bigger scan = the whole book, we will be able to judge better. OP, if this is the case, that the book has sustained damage after it was slabbed, it should be sent back to CGC. You should probably get the notes to see if the staple area is mentioned. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I think if the OP can show us a bigger scan = the whole book, we will be able to judge better. OP, if this is the case, that the book has sustained damage after it was slabbed, it should be sent back to CGC. You should probably get the notes to see if the staple area is mentioned. 

I got the book via a CL auction and interestingly enough, had I paid more attention to the scan on CL I wouldn't have even bid on it as the tears were evident. Historically, I've avoided books with staple tears, regardless of how minor but in my zeal to land the book I failed to paid attention to the scan.  The book is in a "New Slab" therefore I initially thought it may have been re-slabbed, i.e., the tears occurred in an old slab, those prone to SCS, but it wasn't.  I have heard talk, okay one guy at a con, who indicated that the new slabs hold the books tight, therefore less opportunity for SCS.  Frankly, I haven't considering testing this out.  The upshot of my rambling is, I will get the graders notes, per your suggestion and see if mention is made of the staple tears, if so, even in my limited grading experience, I can't imagine a book getting a 9.4 with those tears just as "Sqeggs" specifically points out, particularly given tears also on the lower staple although not quite as dramatic.

2 hours ago, JohnFranklin said:

I got the book via a CL auction and interestingly enough, had I paid more attention to the scan on CL I wouldn't have even bid on it as the tears were evident. Historically, I've avoided books with staple tears, regardless of how minor but in my zeal to land the book I failed to paid attention to the scan.  The book is in a "New Slab" therefore I initially thought it may have been re-slabbed, i.e., the tears occurred in an old slab, those prone to SCS, but it wasn't.  I have heard talk, okay one guy at a con, who indicated that the new slabs hold the books tight, therefore less opportunity for SCS.  Frankly, I haven't considering testing this out.  The upshot of my rambling is, I will get the graders notes, per your suggestion and see if mention is made of the staple tears, if so, even in my limited grading experience, I can't imagine a book getting a 9.4 with those tears just as "Sqeggs" specifically points out, particularly given tears also on the lower staple although not quite as dramatic.

If the book is in a 1st generation 'new' slab, the books were held in place using tremendous pressure. The response to these new slabs was not good as collectors feared the pressure was damaging the books and CGC changed to a 2nd generation 'new' slab. The new design went back to an inner well design without use of pressure. In summary, perhaps the book had a tiny staple tear when graded and then was exaggerated from the pressure of the new slab. In this scenario, the notes may not mention the staple tears. In any case, stop procrastinating and contact CGC.  You are correct, the book cannot be a 9.4 with these tears. Something is amiss. Good luck !

58 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If the book is in a 1st generation 'new' slab, the books were held in place using tremendous pressure. The response to these new slabs was not good as collectors feared the pressure was damaging the books and CGC changed to a 2nd generation 'new' slab. The new design went back to an inner well design without use of pressure. In summary, perhaps the book had a tiny staple tear when graded and then was exaggerated from the pressure of the new slab. In this scenario, the notes may not mention the staple tears. In any case, stop procrastinating and contact CGC.  You are correct, the book cannot be a 9.4 with these tears. Something is amiss. Good luck !

So, murphy's law, of course CGC doesn't list graders notes being available for the book and it was graded June 29, 2016.......I am assuming first generation "New Slab".  You suggested contacting CGC; for grader's notes or bringing it to their attention for QA purposes.  I am surmising that they can't do anything for me at this point.

The magnification makes the tears look far worse than they probably do in hand, but even if the book were otherwise pristine, I wouldn't think of it as a 9.4 candidate.