• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions on bagging and boarding

5 posts in this topic

Questions on bagging and boarding

Hey y'all. I've been collecting comics consistently for about 25 years and have amassed a decent collection, mostly modern stuff. My big 3 are Superman, Batman and Spider-Man `and I plan on building my Bronze Age collection of those characters so needless to say there will eventually be quite a few comics to deal with. Unfortunately in the beginning before paying too much attention to how I handled books then and, at the time being a new ebay user, I had to replace some of the lesser grade books (VF and under) with better NM copies. All that being said I have recently had to re-bag and board everything and wound up using various "acid free" boards and BCW SA 7 1/8 bags. I never liked how books would shift when all lined up in a row the same way so I now use use 2 boards and comics per bag and it seems to be working out great. It adds an extra level of stability and fits good n snug. (Just make sure you grab them in the middle when picking a few up). Anyways, Now for my questions. 1) Does anyone else do this?  If so what are your thoughts on it?  2) Is it safe for the spine of the books?  3) Besides mylar bags what brand name might be better than BCW? So far they're the only ones I've found that if the label says 7 1/8 its actually 7 1/8, all others seem to be 7 1/4 (Ultra Pro and CDS seem to be bad about that)   4) Is anyone aware of any SA boards wider than 7"?  5) Anyone have any experience with BCW TRIPLE strength long boxes? Any help is appreciated. Thank guys 

Edited by kingjohn3

I 2nd egerber. Both egerber and bcm are excellent quality but my preference for egerber is mainly since I live close enough to buy them in bulk and pick them up which saves on shipping.  If im not mistaken Hotflips on here is a reseller of both of these and they may provide easier customized ordering options and shipping.  That being said, if you buy in large quantities and live near maryland, you can't get fullbacks and mylites2or mylites4 of any size for a better price than at egerber.

How you store them can be up for debate.  Most store them 1 comic per bag and board.  If you use fullbacks with mylite2s those are sturdy enough.

However I get the issue with the spine being all on 1 side. You end up with a slight bulge or fanning of the comics to 1 side and you might be able to fit a few more in the long/short box if you alternated which side you place the spine on. However you should never over stuff your box (giggle) beyond being abe to insert 2-3 fingers between comics or you could risk damage to the comics when removing and replacing.

Personally I would not put 2 comics on opposite sides of a board unless they are cheap moderns or reader copies of older less expensive books.  However, I have thought of placing every other comic upside down to even out the spine distribution in the boxes but it might be too annoying to see the comics upside down when looking for a specific issue.

Just say no to doubling up on comics per bag and board. I like my books to be snug sure, and maybe I treat my cheap-0 books way too nicely by bagging and boarding them as well, but seems like double stuffing bags is just asking for trouble :(