• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd flaw -particular to WW2 era books.

4 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a 60 page Timely from 1943, which as most GA collectors know, traditionally has two wraps that were cut down in the printing process so that only a sliver of white shows up towards the rear of the book (looking somewhat like a page had been razored out). However, with this particular book it appears that one of these wraps was cut short of the bend, and therefore was missed by the single staple, leaving a loose page. The edge is clean, and there is no remaining piece stapled in to indicate the page was separated by other means. I was wondering if anyone else had ever seen this flaw, and how it might effect grade ( Qualified?). The book has solid mid grade appearance, but also a detached centerfold, and some page tanning at the bottom edge of the interior. 

On 5/23/2017 at 6:06 PM, rjpb said:

I recently picked up a 60 page Timely from 1943, which as most GA collectors know, traditionally has two wraps that were cut down in the printing process so that only a sliver of white shows up towards the rear of the book (looking somewhat like a page had been razored out). However, with this particular book it appears that one of these wraps was cut short of the bend, and therefore was missed by the single staple, leaving a loose page. The edge is clean, and there is no remaining piece stapled in to indicate the page was separated by other means. I was wondering if anyone else had ever seen this flaw, and how it might effect grade ( Qualified?). The book has solid mid grade appearance, but also a detached centerfold, and some page tanning at the bottom edge of the interior. 

My guess is that if the color of the loose page matches up with the color of the other pages, the graders may well conclude that your explanation is correct and the page is loose as a result of a production problem.  I'll hazard a second guess that it will come back with a blue label with a label notation.  But those are just guesses.  You might want to call them to see if they would be able to give you a better idea of how this book will fare in the grading process. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

My guess is that if the color of the loose page matches up with the color of the other pages, the graders may well conclude that your explanation is correct and the page is loose as a result of a production problem.  I'll hazard a second guess that it will come back with a blue label with a label notation.  But those are just guesses.  You might want to call them to see if they would be able to give you a better idea of how this book will fare in the grading process. 

Good idea. 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You might want to call them to see if they would be able to give you a better idea of how this book will fare in the grading process. 

In my experience CGC will not answer these types of grading questions over the phone. The answer has always been, send it in. Never hurts to try though.

Edited by Bomber-Bob