• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pre-screen

13 posts in this topic

pre-screen

Hi....new to CGC and would appreciate advice as to what I should put on as lowest grade I'd accept for pre-screen....I sent in a recent batch with grading no less than 9.0 and only got 1/3 graded....any advice?....Mike

32 minutes ago, mike donohew said:

pre-screen

Hi....new to CGC and would appreciate advice as to what I should put on as lowest grade I'd accept for pre-screen....I sent in a recent batch with grading no less than 9.0 and only got 1/3 graded....any advice?....Mike

Welcome to the Boards Mike. Your question is too broad, it depends on what you are submitting. If you are submitting Moderns, most prescreen at 9.6, some even @ 9.8 . In general, the older the books, the lower the prescreen. Tell us what you are submitting.

38 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

What is exactly is pre-screening?

A service where you can select the minimum grade for them to process the book. Rejects get billed @ something like 5.00 each, maybe 6.00 now.

15 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

A service where you can select the minimum grade for them to process the book. Rejects get billed @ something like 5.00 each, maybe 6.00 now.

Oh. Thanks. That's nice to know.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:24 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Welcome to the Boards Mike. Your question is too broad, it depends on what you are submitting. If you are submitting Moderns, most prescreen at 9.6, some even @ 9.8 . In general, the older the books, the lower the prescreen. Tell us what you are submitting.

1 hour ago, mike donohew said:

Hi...I was submitting many "Star Wars" comics (#1-10 and up) from 1977 plus other comics (e.g. Wolverine, Blade Runner, Raiders etc) from late '70s and early '80s...thanks....mike

IMO, I would prescreen @ 9.4 .  The fact that you prescreened @ 9.0 and only one passed shows you need to learn to grade a bit better.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, I would prescreen @ 9.4 .  The fact that you prescreened @ 9.0 and only one passed shows you need to learn to grade a bit better.

Hi...I prescreened at 9.0 and 10 (5 early S.W. comcs) out of 30 passed...I agree I have to learn to grade better...I thought my100+  'Star Wars" comics were all close to NM, since I just stored them away, unread, after buying them for my son in '77...but in checking prices on ebay, S.W. comics even at 8.0 or 8.5 can bring in some decent money....so that's why I'm thinking about resubmitting them at 8.0 or 8.5....I will put on some of them on the chat board for a PGM review.....many thanks for all your help....Mike

44 minutes ago, mike donohew said:

Hi...I prescreened at 9.0 and 10 (5 early S.W. comcs) out of 30 passed...I agree I have to learn to grade better...I thought my100+  'Star Wars" comics were all close to NM, since I just stored them away, unread, after buying them for my son in '77...but in checking prices on ebay, S.W. comics even at 8.0 or 8.5 can bring in some decent money....so that's why I'm thinking about resubmitting them at 8.0 or 8.5....I will put on some of them on the chat board for a PGM review.....many thanks for all your help....Mike

Mike, I don't want to talk you out of getting the Star Wars slabbed but I don't see the valuation @ 8.0/8.5 . When you check prices on E-Bay, make sure you looks at SOLD prices.  Some random issue numbers I checked prices for....

Star Wars #9  CGC graded 9.4 Value 45.00 , 8.5 Value, maybe 35.00 .

Star Wars  #50 9.4 Value   20.00, 8.5  maybe 15.00 . 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

When looking at prices on eBay, you need to look at completed sales for a true feel of the market. Active listings, especially BIN books are usually priced aggressively.

Edited by joeypost

I suggest posting a couple of them in the spare a grade forum, might give you a better handle on what to look for.  My nemesis is spine tics.

And to parrot the others, definitely look at sold listings, both for cgc graded and raw copies.  That'll give you the spread.  From there, you'll have to do the math for figuring out what's worth grading.