• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's certainly all set up for that. 

"There's only one thing that will make me happy.....(grumble grumble grumble)"

And then he and Arya make their way south, the old gang back together again, hit list in hand....to scratch off a few more names before it's all over. 

I'm hoping we'll see just how mindless the Mountain really is when he faces his brother. 

Kind of reminds me of Kane and The Undertaker from the old WWE days lol

8 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

Unregenerate pro-Cersei. Burn him, Ser Gregor. 

And, in really thinking about it, in past seasons they gave you something, anything, to cling to if one was sympathetic to Cersei. They gave glimmers of humanity or at least of some trait that allowed one to want to see her come out on top. This season, and the end of last season, there's nothing there. It's all one-note. She's become boring in her 2-dimensional flatness of evil. They should just give her a mustache so she can twirl it at this point....and it wouldn't have been out of character for this boring and flat, scenery chewing, version of Cersei to just tie Missandei to some train tracks instead of using a sword. 

While I have been enjoying Season 8, I really cannot dispute some of the criticisms because the show has indeed become too Hollywood-esque. Based on their past performances, I expected more from the show-runners than what the typical Tinsel Town whacko could produce.

There is a theory about The Hound had visions of him killing The Moutain. So it would be interesting if this came out somehow.

Game of Thrones Theory May Confirm a Long-Awaited Fight

Remember that Sandor “The Hound” Clegane and Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane came face to face for the first time in years if you think back to the season seven finale of Game of Thrones . The Hound arrived at the Dragonpit summit in King’s Landing and delivered the following message to his zombified brother: “You know who’s coming for you. You’ve always known.”

But now, Reddit user Askingforafriendta has taken that theory a step further by connecting it to the Hound’s seemingly newfound ability to see fire visions.

We know the Hound can see visions in the flames and we know there’s an unspoken hatred between the Clegane brothers.

We never understood it until they see each other face to face. When the Hound says, ‘You’ve always known,’ he makes a very clear claim. The Mountain has always known that the Hound would kill him.

I theorize that when they were children, Sandor looked into the flames and foresaw Cleaganbowl – Gregor dying at the hands of Sandor. When he told his brother what he saw, Gregor became enraged and tried to kill him with that fire. Gregor never attacked Sandor over a toy, he tried to kill him to prevent the vision from coming true. So Gregor has been rage-killing ever since because he knew he was invincible to all but Sandor. Sandor has been avoiding the flames ever since not just because of the trauma of being burned, but because the visions he saw there caused everything between the brothers.

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

And, in really thinking about it, in past seasons they gave you something, anything, to cling to if one was sympathetic to Cersei. They gave glimmers of humanity or at least of some trait that allowed one to want to see her come out on top. This season, and the end of last season, there's nothing there. It's all one-note. She's become boring in her 2-dimensional flatness of evil. They should just give her a mustache so she can twirl it at this point....and it wouldn't have been out of character for this boring and flat, scenery chewing, version of Cersei to just tie Missandei to some train tracks instead of using a sword. 

You have just described the entire show at Cersei's expense.

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

There's always got to be one person to root for the one person no one should ever root for..... I am sure there were those rooting for the virus in Outbreak. 

The virus rooted for the virus.

48 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

You have just described the entire show at Cersei's expense.

Well, yes and no. Up until season 7 she was anything but flat stereotypical evil. Somewhere along the line they lost the thing that made them like Breaking Bad, or Sons of Anarchy, wherein no matter how bad the bad characters were the audience was given something, anything, to cling to that showed their humanity and perhaps allowed some part of you to root for them. GOT did it in the Cersei's imprisonment and "SHAME! SHAME!" storyline, but lost it just as fast.  It's just not there anymore. Which is a shame. It helped make the show something special. 

Edited by comix4fun

23 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well, yes and no. Up until season 7 she was anything but flat stereotypical evil. Somewhere along the line they lost the thing that made them like Breaking Bad, or Sons of Anarchy, wherein no matter how bad the bad characters were the audience was given something, anything, to cling to that showed their humanity and perhaps allowed some part of you to root for them. GOT did it in the Cersei's imprisonment and "SHAME! SHAME!" storyline, but lost it just as fast.  It's just not there anymore. Which is a shame. It helped make the show something special. 

Cersei is human, not a resurrected hero or a dragon fire resistant queen. She is human and I love her. The more your disdain flattens her into evil, the more she springs to life in my heart.

Just now, TupennyConan said:

Cersei is human, not a resurrected hero or a dragon fire resistant queen. She is human and I love her. The more your disdain flattens her into evil, the more she springs to life in my heart.

Season's 1-6 she's human, not entirely evil, not anywhere near good, loved her children, loved (both kinds) her brother, loved her father.....she's vulnerable and complex and vexing to anyone trying stereotype her.

Seasons 7-8, the writers flattened her ( I did no such thing ) into someone that loves no one & values nothing but conquest, revenge, and causing pain. Every choice she could have made, the writers drove her down a path of nothing but one-note bad. 

That's worse than evil. That's boring. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Season's 1-6 she's human, not entirely evil, not anywhere near good, loved her children, loved (both kinds) her brother, loved her father.....she's vulnerable and complex and vexing to anyone trying stereotype her.

Seasons 7-8, the writers flattened her ( I did no such thing ) into someone that loves no one & values nothing but conquest, revenge, and causing pain. Every choice she could have made, the writers drove her down a path of nothing but one-note bad. 

That's worse than evil. That's boring. 

You love her, too. Just listen to you. 

Just now, TupennyConan said:

You love her, too. Just listen to you. 

I did. Her character was one of the greatest "bad guys" ever written for television. 

I'm very disappointed with what they did to her character. She's B-Movie Bad Guy now. Sad. 

The death of her three children has has hardened Cersei even more. Tyrion knows that’s her weak spot, which is why he risked life and limb for a desperate chance to speak to her about the unborn child, as silly as it seemed (we know she would never capitulate).

Cersei gets glorious pleasure at the death of one of Danys’ ‘children’ (dragon), hoping that her mortal enemy feels similar grief and pain.

The writers have both Cersei (bad) and Dany (good) on the same torturous path, setting up a collision and the series finale. Not perfectly handled, but effective IMHO.

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

While I have been enjoying Season 8, I really cannot dispute some of the criticisms because the show has indeed become too Hollywood-esque. Based on their past performances, I expected more from the show-runners than what the typical Tinsel Town whacko could produce.

I am also very conflicted with season 8 so far.  I desperately want to see the 8 season payoff, but at the same the entire shows now feels simplified and rushed.  Complex, intelligent plots that took 7 seasons to simmer resolved in seconds leaving them feeling anticlimactic and hollow.  I want badly to love the ending of my favorite show ever.

There is a good reason for that, the show runners are working on a broad strokes ending provided to them by GRRM.

Those broad strokes are lacking the intricate and convoluted plot devices of the source material because it hasn’t been written yet.

I think the sense that it is “rushed” is entirely valid because it is, the show runners have not omitted or altered story and character arcs for the sake of brevity or the limitations of transferring the story from one art form to another I think they are just tired of it and want to move on. 

I don’t doubt there could easily be another two seasons of GOT but would the show runners stay? Would HBO continue to finance the every increasing productions cost? Would they risk other show runners taking over? Would Martin want another team to take over his baby?