• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fighting Yank #12? Or is it #10?

13 posts in this topic

Fighting Yank #12? Or is it #10?

I have a problem I need help with.  I won this raw book in one of our CGC grading contests a year or two ago and had it CGC graded early this year.  It got the Conserved designation which made sense since it was noted in the grading contest that the book had some restoration to it.  I was going to hold onto it but needed some quick cash so I put it up for sale on eBay and it promptly sold via Best Offer.  The buyer paid earlier today but now wants to cancel saying there's a problem.  And I can see where he's coming from.

The CGC label says Fighting Yank #12, the comic itself says #12 on the cover but the cover is actually from issue #10!  So what the heck is going on here???

Fighting Yank #12 CGC 6.0 Conserved.jpg

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

Could CGC have missed some resto to the cover (I don't know how)?  That yellow box where the "no. 12" looks out of place.  Maybe it was added incorrectly some time ago.

I just looked at all of the Fighting Yank issues posted on Grand Comics Database and none of the 29 issues have the issue number in a colored block like this one does.  But why change the issue number?  That doesn't make any sense.

1 minute ago, Shark said:

I just looked at all of the Fighting Yank issues posted on Grand Comics Database and none of the 29 issues have the issue number in a colored block like this one does.  But why change the issue number?  That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe it had been rubbed off and unreadable and whoever restored the book just made a mistake.  Does it look like that particular area was restored.  If that is the case its also a huge whiff by CGC...  Or its an extremely rare printing error.  You never know.

20 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Maybe it had been rubbed off and unreadable and whoever restored the book just made a mistake.  Does it look like that particular area was restored.  If that is the case its also a huge whiff by CGC...  Or its an extremely rare printing error.  You never know.

After looking at it under a magnifying glass, it does appear that the pre-existing yellow "no. 10" could have been colored in with the yellow block then someone mistakenly added no. 12 in green instead of the correct no. 10.

IMG_20170525_233918053_HDR.jpg

The graders' notes say nothing about the modification of the issue number block.

"Reinforcement to cover (Archival material, high quality) A-1

Spine split sealed to cover (Archival material, high quality) A-1

crease left top of back cover

moderate tanning interior cover

multiple crease full right of back cover

split bottom of spine

split left center of spine

wear left bottom of front cover breaks color"

Edited by Shark

It's a Canadian Edition.. at least I'm 90% sure.  I google image searched "Fighting Yank #12" and one of the first results was an old eBay listing with "Fighting Yank #12 (10) Canadian Edition" and it has the same cover/yellow box around the number.

Not sure if we can post links on here, but this is the old eBay sale: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fighting-yank-12-10-schomburg-xela-bondage.  

3 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

It's a Canadian Edition.. at least I'm 90% sure.  I google image searched "Fighting Yank #12" and one of the first results was an old eBay listing with "Fighting Yank #12 (10) Canadian Edition" and it has the same cover/yellow box around the number.

Not sure if we can post links on here, but this is the old eBay sale: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fighting-yank-12-10-schomburg-xela-bondage.  

just found it as well!

CGC actually knew too.. someone just forgot to put it on the label lol

If you search the serial #, it has.. Country: Canada.

Certification Information

Certification #: 1398933003
Title: Fighting Yank
Issue: 12
Issue Date: 3-5/45
Publisher: Nedor Publications
Grade: 6.0
Page Quality: CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
Label Text: Conservation includes: spine split sealed to cover, cover reinforced.
Grade Date: 12/23/2016
Category: Conserved

11 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

could it be a Canadian issue that they missed?I know the numbering is sometimes different on Can. Eds. from that period.

Is probably the case. I checked on ebay, a Canadian version of Startling 35 that sold has the same cover as the US 36 and no mntion on the cover of being a Canadian edition. What does the back cover look like, does it have an ad with a Canadian address?