• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM NYX #3

18 posts in this topic

PGM NYX #3

Hi all! Let me know what you think. I don't have a scanner, unfortunately. :( 

So I made up for it hopefully with enough pics to get a decent idea of the grade.  Thanks in advance.

This is the copy from my pull list when the book came out.  I'll probably part with it if it isn't worth slabbing as I want a slabbed copy.  

There is a very minor wrinkle on the top left FC that I can't get to show in pics, but shows when you hit it correctly with the light. It would need to be pressed out, I think. That's the only flaw not shown in the pics.

IMG_8217_zps0p0hi9mt.jpg

IMG_8216_zpsbn1jsdev.jpg

IMG_8215_zpsq5umwc5b.jpg

IMG_8214_zps38xkbzx4.jpg

IMG_8213_zpsivri4rvi.jpg

IMG_8211_zps0vziemca.jpg

IMG_8210_zps1qlxsrc7.jpg

IMG_8221_zpstaxq3nut.jpg

IMG_8220_zpsd80a7jii.jpg

IMG_8219_zpsmlt7075s.jpg

IMG_8226_zpsya5blgd4.jpg

IMG_8224_zpskj22vnea.jpg

Edited by speedcake

On 5/26/2017 at 11:17 PM, speedcake said:

Thanks for the reply.  I think I'd like to get it pressed and submitted, but as I've never done it before I've got some board reading and googling to do. Might have to spring for a cgc membership upgrade, too.

BTW, I read in the grading issues forum there seems to be a crackdown on finger bends if that's what you have in the corner.  Maybe someone here or in that forum can tell you if finger bends are pressable.

Definitely press, close enough to 9.8, but with the close ups of the corners of the spine you can tell it's Marvel quality paper lol and I don't know what the deal is with making the cover's color that makes the spine look frayed...it's hard to tell on NM 98 as well so these issue's are not new. But considering it IS Marvel paper and the color of the cover that is on the spine and no noticeable spine bends or ticks, then I'd consider the bends on the corners are the only thing! Steppin Razor has spot on I'd say! Press it :) 

5 minutes ago, speedcake said:

ya haha. I did my best to avoid glare in the pics but its so glossy :D

I'm looking into getting a scanner le sigh

I don't know who you plan to use for pressing, try @joeypost I've heard nothing but good things :) may be cheaper than CCS that CGC uses

you can pm him...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Definitely press, close enough to 9.8, but with the close ups of the corners of the spine you can tell it's Marvel quality paper lol and I don't know what the deal is with making the cover's color that makes the spine look frayed...it's hard to tell on NM 98 as well so these issue's are not new. But considering it IS Marvel paper and the color of the cover that is on the spine and no noticeable spine bends or ticks, then I'd consider the bends on the corners are the only thing! Steppin Razor has spot on I'd say! Press it :) 

Thanks for replying. Marvel quality paper is a misnomer for sure. I was starting to lean toward not getting this one slabbed, but now I think I have to. I might wait until I have a stack to send in, though. Just doing one or two books is pretty brutal with shipping and no prescreen. I do have a question though, when choosing which grading tier, is the books value pre slabbed or slabbed? In the case of NYX 3 it doesnt' matter since even raw, especially in this grade, it is easily in mid 3 figures, but like with a book that is say $100 FMV raw but slabbed would put it several hundred dollars higher, does that mean I'd have to choose the < $200 grading tier?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't know who you plan to use for pressing, try @joeypost I've heard nothing but good things :) may be cheaper than CCS that CGC uses

you can pm him...

This is who I was looking at using, yes. I made an account on his site but decided to wait til I have more books to send. I'm going through my UXM run and pulling out a few that I think can be slabbed. I really dont wanna send one book.

I hear you I have some BA/SA that I'm going to have to send economy, even though there not worth more than $200, and I had to wait until I had at least 3-4 that's my limit; I don't do bulk books or a whole bunch idk probably because I don't have my own account and do it through the LCS.

To answer your question, I believe it is the value after grading and in the slab :) because they have to ship it back insured etc.

Thanks for replying. Marvel quality paper is a misnomer for sure. I was starting to lean toward not getting this one slabbed, but now I think I have to. I might wait until I have a stack to send in, though. Just doing one or two books is pretty brutal with shipping and no prescreen. I do have a question though, when choosing which grading tier, is the books value pre slabbed or slabbed? In the case of NYX 3 it doesnt' matter since even raw, especially in this grade, it is easily in mid 3 figures, but like with a book that is say $100 FMV raw but slabbed would put it several hundred dollars higher, does that mean I'd have to choose the < $200 grading tier?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 hours ago, speedcake said:

OK that's how I understood it, but got confused when actually looking at filling out the form. I guess that makes sense. 

I went ahead and asked when I subbed my first box.  They want the tier you choose based on your best assessment of what you think it is raw, and then if it is over the valuation limit you specified, they will either check with you, or you can leave a note in the box that any over X amount be graded at Y tier (which I promptly forgot to do).  I have some delusions of 9.9 or 10 on a couple of books of mine (mostly chromium covers as they seems to hold up better), so I checked being the optimist that I am (sarcasm).

Edited by SteppinRazor

3 minutes ago, speedcake said:

So it is the raw pre-graded FMV after all? Do I got that right? Again doesn't matter with this particular book, but really good info to know for us CGC noob alerts.

I'll pm you the quoted exchange, but that's the jist of it.  You make your best assessment of raw, and they'll give you a heads up if you were underestimating.

20 hours ago, speedcake said:

So it is the raw pre-graded FMV after all? Do I got that right? Again doesn't matter with this particular book, but really good info to know for us CGC noob alerts.

You want to put it in the tier that you feel comfortable having it insured for. I usually estimate what they will grade as. I select USPS for the return shipping so they can honor that amount in case the worst happens. Unless you have your own insurance.

23 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

You want to put it in the tier that you feel comfortable having it insured for. I usually estimate what they will grade as. I select USPS for the return shipping so they can honor that amount in case the worst happens. Unless you have your own insurance.

Interesting.  I chose the return shipping cost based on what I thought the graded books might total, but individually picked the tier at which I thought they would grade.  I pre-screened though.