• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cardboard blanks for shipping comics - Anyone know of a good source?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2017 at 7:04 PM, tomo said:

I just go to Costco and grab the flat sheets that the manufacturers use when shipping pallets of cartoned goods.  There are usually flat sheets (3' or 4' square) between the layers on the pallets.  I can often grab 2 or 3 when ever I go.  I fold them in thirds and put them in my cart.  I then cut them up when I get home.  A little bit more labor, but a free source of cardboard is always good.  Depending on what the product is, sometimes you can get a really nice double corrugated piece.

I've talked with the manager at my location, and was told as long as I don't go too crazy taking cardboard out by the cartloads, then they usually don't mind.  They do recycle the cardboard and sell it to China, so they probably wouldn't appreciate someone cleaning out the store one afternoon.

Same here.

Some of that cardboard is double-thickness corrugated as well as laminated on one side too! SUPER strong!

And you can't beat FREE!

On 5/29/2017 at 1:00 PM, Action252Kid said:

My way is somewhat expensive but safe/time-saving for less expensive/single book orders.  I use the 9x12 Uline boards (one on each side of the book, taped down) (https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3384/Corrugated-Pads/9-x-12-150-lb-Corrugated-Pads) for $.31 each and then their 9 1/8" x 12 1/8" easy-fold mailers (https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-327/Easy-Fold-Mailers/12-1-8-x-9-1-8-White-Easy-Fold-Mailers) for $.61 each and it's a perfect fit and very secure.  It's an extra dollar and change per package, but it saves me so much time not having to cut up cardboard, and you can ship a single book via First Class securely without fear of damage.. and you can get a sandwich of maybe 6-7 books in there and it's a really sturdy 2 lb package.  Not for everyone of course, but if you are shipping a lot of stuff, it cuts out a lot of the parts everyone hates doing (cutting boards, crumpling newspaper, packing peanuts, etc.).  

If you are shipping a lot of packages, that adds up very quickly. If you are shipping one or two boxes a week, it's insignificant. If you do 10-15 a day, you are talking about a week's worth of vacation.