• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thank you to the veterans and veteran's families on Memorial Day!

7 posts in this topic

Thank you to the veterans and veteran's families on Memorial Day!

I want to acknowledge the veterans and veteran's families who have made so many sacrifices in the service of our country. I imagine today is a tough day for many who cannot help but recall the losses of friends, family and comrade-in-arms.  So thank you. You are what makes our country great!

Late on the afternoon of 5 June 1944, the troop-laden ships slipped out of Weymouth harbor and headed for the beaches of Normandy...

RIP Buddy Shepherd out of Indiana, Private, 16th Infantry, 1st Division. Died June 6, 1944. 

121_zpsrpxgczvc.jpg

Edited by drbanner

I just watched the documentary on Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division. WOW. It was a tremendous documentary and very moving. I was choked up a few times. Very well done, the best movie by Hanks and Spielberg that I have seen.

I remember working out at the Little Creek Naval Base years ago along with all the other 20-something single sailors with nothing to do that day. Then a few guys with prosthetics and burns all over them came and worked out for a little while. We just let them workout like normal people and not interrupt. After they left, one guy quietly said to himself what we were all thinking, "Man, happy Memorial Day."