• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody See the Marvel Comics on Antiques Roadshow last night?

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ecgt said:

No need to wait. Here's a link from the PBS website:

http://www.pbs.org/video/3001207738/

8 minutes ago, october said:

G/VG??!

This guy has zero clue what he is doing. 

Funny.  I think the dude who owned the comics knew exactly what they were worth.  IMHO the appraiser was way low as the FF1 alone looked real nice.

I went to the Roadshow a few years ago right when Captain America First Avenger came out.  I figured since the movie was coming out, and with all the hype, that there would be some interest in a nice Captain America 1 comic for the show.  So I brought my raw Cap 1 in.  The appraiser looked at it with virtually no interest whatsoever.  He said he didn't know what it was worth off the top of his head and that I should just look in an Overstreet price guide.  I went in with such energy and excitement, and he seemed to have NO passion at all.  It wasn't the best experience (with him).  They have a lot of appraisers so if you get matched up with a bad one, you're out of luck.

They allow you to bring 2 items.  My other item (Indian Clubs) garnered a huge reaction by the other appraiser, and they ended up taking me to the GreenRoom to put makeup on me to do an interview.  It was really cool.  That appraiser showed huge passion and loved talking to me about the clubs.  They started to set us up for the interview, but a producer came by and decided to nix my segment.  Bummer.

Edited by gadzukes

7 hours ago, shadroch said:

I've never encountered books that were stapled shut. Has anyone?

I bought my original copy of Avengers #196 from an old drugstore that used to staple comics. The book is in NM condition with four staple holes in the front cover. Don't have a clue how to grade it.