• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Pulp Appreciation Thread

43 posts in this topic

Thought I would start something a little offbeat here...

There are some members that know and love the pulps that they collect. I thought it would be fun if contributions were made to showcase there favorites.

I will start out with my two favorites:

Buck Rogers first ever appearance.

pulp1.jpg

Simply gorgeous cover and high grade

pulp2.jpg

I don't know that I've ever seen a pulp in person before.

What characteristics distinguish a pulp from a comic, and during what timespan were pulps made? I'm assuming they're no longer printed since I've rarely heard of them.

What characteristics distinguish a pulp from a comic, and during what timespan were pulps made?

A pulp was so named because the paper that was used (pulp) was the cheapest available thus making it very difficult to find the earlier pulps in nice grade that are'nt bug eaten, among other attributes. The ones that I posted are "bedsheet" size and measure roughly 8 1/2" x 11 1/2" and were published in the early 1930's.

I am not sure when they started making them but I do have one from 1914...and some tiles ran into the late 1950's....

What characteristics distinguish a pulp from a comic, and during what timespan were pulps made? I'm assuming they're no longer printed since I've rarely heard of them.

Pulps consist mainly of text - short stories and novellas being a specialty. Squarebound. Often tremendous covers, as you can see. They actually still are being made. I have a copy of Asimov's Science Fiction dated this month! ANalog is still being published and has been out since the 20's (as I recall). Lots of pulps are still around, which is kind of cool, cause they really tend to feel like the old ones and are often feature either well known writers or early works of to-be-greats.

I hate this forum. I have never had a desire to collect pulps (although I did inherit a Buck Rogers from my Dad), but when I see how wonderful the cover is on that second scan it just makes me want to go out and get one. (really really sweet book).

Wasn't Analog just a name change from Amazing Stories...

Name change from Astounding - done in late 30's (1938-40?) when John Campbell took over. Or maybe later. Not sure but I know Campbell made the name change. Sorry - really rusty on pulps - been afraid to get back into them cause of $$$.

I'm associating the switch from Astounding to Analog with Ben Bova taking over as editor from Campbell. But it may have been a bit earlier? This would have been late 60s if I'm remembering what I've read...

No, just searched eBay... according to this auction the switch came under Campbell's editorship in 1960.

Also, in the pre-comics days, the pulps covered a wide range of genres (Western, adventure, SF, horror) Does anyone have an example of a non-SF pulp still being published?

Finally, let's not forget the connections between pulp heroes and the comics: The Shadow, Doc Savage, and of course Conan.

Cheers,

Z.

Does anyone have an example of a non-SF pulp still being published?

The only one that comes to mind is "Fantasy and Science Fiction"....

Finally, let's not forget the connections between pulp heroes and the comics: The Shadow, Doc Savage, and of course Conan.

...and "Marvel Science Stories" which provided the logo design for "Marvel Comics"... wink.gif

Just looked and his name was Richard Seaton....This was from the first of the "Skylark of Space" trilogy by E.E. Smith....

I keep skimming through the story and can not find the name Buck Rogers anywhere...maybe Seaton changed his name... crazy.gif