• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the heck
1 1

15 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

What the heck

I'm perusing ComicConnect and FF Annuals in particular.  Came across this offering and am wondering about the scan.
What the heck is going on ?  (Talk about White to Off-White)  (:

fan4.819a.jpg

I've seen two other raw copies like this recently ... With that look of oil seeping through, like someone ate a mixed Italian cold cut sandwich over it...but they were not as bad on the front cover, more extensive on interior cover. Weird.

I have seen this effect on marvel books from 72-79

Some books with snow white pages have it as well.

It seems to be accompanied by color bleed in many instances, I have a WWBN 33 that has this effect to some degree. 

Anyone know whats causing this and if it will get worse over time even if stored correctly?

Looks good to me. Usually when you see a whiter border or edges and a little darkening to the inside of a cover like that, it's just a little color pick up or bleeding/reaction of the inks on the interior cover and splash page showing through the front cover.

46 minutes ago, grayzr said:

I have seen this effect on marvel books from 72-79

Some books with snow white pages have it as well.

It's a commonly-noted cover blemish on Giant-Size X-Men 1.

I guess I'm a bit confused.  I am wondering how color bleed could confine itself to three areas in such an odd manner.

I am talking about the white inside the "72", the white inside the first "a" in Fantastic Four and in the "n" following the "a".

It looks odd to me.  I didn't realize color bleed could be so precise, and the difference in whites to be so stark.  It doesn't look natural.

ffan2.thumb.jpg.4f480f6ac05b098877ff52fcccea8552.jpg

I wasn't paying attention properly.  I only noticed the widespread oil effect.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I wasn't paying attention properly.  I only noticed the widespread oil effect.

Thanks for your reply!  I thought I was totally missing something from the conversation.  (:

As for the scan, it almost looks like someone started to edit the white background to make the book appear nicer.
Or someone edited the scan and then changed it back to the original, but was unable to reverse the three areas in question.   Maybe the file was saved between edits and the original was overwritten.

I'm not claiming that I know know what the intentions were of the individual who did this.  Maybe they were just playing around with an image editor and used this file.  But given the shenanigans surrounding this hobby, it seems like a bad choice to use this particular image to offer a book for sale.
Regardless, at the very least it strikes me as questionable.

Manipulated scan (typical), the person editing obviously had some difficulty with the contrasts of the overall image.

Nonetheless it looks like CGC hammered that book for the transfer stain (they are very harsh on such stains at the moment).

Apologies, Unca Ben -- I was looking at/referencing the oil effect that looks like deli sandwich paper (above the Torch's head and below the red letters "Doctor Doom." I saw two otherwise nice raws that had this effect, but it was far more apparent on the inside front cover. I totally missed the milk-white fills in the letters. Sorry. :sorry:

Not sure what is seen here as I can't tell too much. But the yellowing that usually occurs in the center of the inside covers with still white borders is known as transfer stains from being in contact with the first and last page and causes the covers to turn yellow.

4 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Apologies, Unca Ben -- I was looking at/referencing the oil effect that looks like deli sandwich paper (above the Torch's head and below the red letters "Doctor Doom." I saw two otherwise nice raws that had this effect, but it was far more apparent on the inside front cover. I totally missed the milk-white fills in the letters. Sorry. :sorry:

No worries - I wasn't that clear in my initial post (I was trying to be clever).  Which in turn made me unsure if we were looking at the same thing, given the replies.  No apology necessary!  It's all good!  :foryou:

3 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

No worries - I wasn't that clear in my initial post (I was trying to be clever).  Which in turn made me unsure if we were looking at the same thing, given the replies.  No apology necessary!  It's all good!  :foryou:

(thumbsu You brought up two interesting topics on this book, it turns out!