• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Action 1 " on the Bay

40 posts in this topic

Strange.  The seller claims to be a pawn shop and the things he's sold are typical pawn shop type items.  So perhaps his story holds up.  Paper just looks too white to me.  Almost looks like it's been bent and damaged on purpose to make it look old.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Strange.  The seller claims to be a pawn shop and the things he's sold are typical pawn shop type items.  So perhaps his story holds up.  Paper just looks too white to me.  Almost looks like it's been bent and damaged on purpose to make it look old.

Dave, I read it as his family had a pawnshop and doesn't anymore.  I am always skeptical but this one gives me pause to think.  If you are going to scam, don't use a coverless copy.  He has multiple pictures and has sold a variety of items like tools, coins, musical instruments - the kinds of things you would find in a pawnshop so maybe inventory from his family's closed shop but other than one listing, nothing too recent.

It may be legit in that he thinks he has a real #1 but doesn't know the difference.  This would be one I would want to see in person.  I still lean toward skepticism but it is interesting.  

1 minute ago, telerites said:

Dave, I read it as his family had a pawnshop and doesn't anymore.  I am always skeptical but this one gives me pause to think.  If you are going to scam, don't use a coverless copy.  He has multiple pictures and has sold a variety of items like tools, coins, musical instruments - the kinds of things you would find in a pawnshop so maybe inventory from his family's closed shop but other than one listing, nothing too recent.

It may be legit in that he thinks he has a real #1 but doesn't know the difference.  This would be one I would want to see in person.  I still lean toward skepticism but it is interesting.  

Agreed, pawnshop story seems reasonable considering his past feedback.  

Might use a coverless copy because the cover that could reveal that it's a reprint.  Or perhaps to make the story more believable.  The stain at the top staple, the way the book has been ripped and the burn mark at the bottom, even the vertical lines in the book that reasonably could be from rolling it to put in a pocket all seem convincing but the pages just seem to be too white and supple looking.  Definitely would want to see it in person before spending money on it.

Top and bottom margins look too wide, and I I think the book is too narrow for a GA book.

I suspect these are damaged pages from the 1988 50th anniversary reprint.  I also suspect that the seller is sincere and this is case of misidentification, not a scam as such.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Top and bottom margins look too wide, and I I think the book is too narrow for a GA book.

I suspect these are damaged pages from the 1988 50th anniversary reprint. 

+1; talk about a run-on sentence for the description (geez) - whether clueless or a scam, it's obviously not the real deal.

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

+1; talk about a run-on sentence for the description (geez) - whether clueless or a scam, it's obviously not the real deal.

Exactly! The colors of the panels are too dark\rich, printing back then wasn't so dark. This is obviously a newer book,and doubtful anyone looking for an Action 1 would be taken in by such a scan.

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I suspect these are damaged pages from the 1988 50th anniversary reprint.  I also suspect that the seller is sincere and this is case of misidentification, not a scam as such.

The coloring is wrong in the first panel as well. the small explosion at the bottom right is missing the red. 

whomever on here said the margins were too wide I think  was spot on.  I just looked at an original page #5 (cover swipe) that I own to compare and  they don't match up in the pics.  I guess there could be some manufacturing differences but I'm doubtful  wish this was the real deal or someone could come up with a convincing argument that it was.....

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, rjpb said:

The coloring is wrong in the first panel as well. the small explosion at the bottom right is missing the red. 

Yep--regarding the missing red in the first panel.  Checked the Prisitine comics pic.  Nice call.  Feel badly for the bidder if this goes through

I don't see how anyone could be fooled by this, it's so obviously not a original printing. The size is totally off, the printing is too good, too dark, the colors are perfectly aligned and not off register at all and the texture of the newsprint is not right at all.

It doesn't appear so. I think a couple reached out to the individual selling the FFE SC 1 and they added it to the description that they were told it was a reprint. Still at 3k last time I looked.  

I placed the bid on this Action when I saw it on my phone and it looked real enough on a tiny screen.   After getting home and comparing the pics to images of original editions (and reading the note here about the coloring diff) I messaged the seller and informed him (even including a pic of a real coverless so he could compare) and asked him to cancel the bid.   Seller says he still thinks it is real because some shop told him it was and he doesn't know how to cancel my bid.  I don't know how to do it on my end.  There must be a way but if there is ebay has made it well-hidden.     There is no danger to me because I know and the seller know I will not send him any money; but I don't want other people out there thinking there is an actual bid on it.

Edited by bluechip

19 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I placed the bid on this Action when I saw it on my phone and it looked real enough on a tiny screen.   After getting home and comparing the pics to images of original editions (and reading the note here about the coloring diff) I messaged the seller and informed him (even including a pic of a real coverless so he could compare) and asked him to cancel the bid.   Seller says he still thinks it is real because some shop told him it was and he doesn't know how to cancel my bid.  I don't know how to do it on my end.  There must be a way but if there is ebay has made it well-hidden.     There is no danger to me because I know and the seller know I will not send him any money; but I don't want other people out there thinking there is an actual bid on it.

Thanks Bluechip  Good to know.