• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best options for the $$$

6 posts in this topic

Best options for the $$$

Most can agree that Mylars and Half/Full Backs are the optimum choice for bags and boards. That being said what are the pros and cons of Polyethylene (PE) and Polypropylene (PP)?  I've researched this quite a bit and have discovered that it really comes down to personal preference but if someone cant or isnt willing to fork over the cash for thousands of mylars what do you guys say are the next best option? I know that PP looks nicer due to it's clarity but is that the extent of it? PE seems to be more sturdy and would offer more protection. My books are stored at room temp with virtually no light exposure at all so which one is preferred by hardcore collectors?

Mylite2s orMylite Plus.

Either of the type you mention simply don't last. After a few years they get cloudy and sometimes worse. If you spend $10 on a book, be willing to spend fifty cents on proper storage material.

Quality trumps quantity.

I just replaced poly bags that were 25 to 30 years old.  Most were housing comics I bought off the shelf, never read and then bagged (usually no boards, I know, sue me!  I was a kid!).  Plus they've always been in boxes and stored with care.  Several books I've sent to CGC and all came back 9.4-9.8.  That said I did look for nice copies at my LCS back in the day.  The bags when removed were often slightly cloudy and yellowed.  Replaced with new polys except for any keys which go in mylars.  Repeat in 30 years.

Edited by GM8

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

I just replaced poly bags that were 25 to 30 years old.  Most were housing comics I bought off the shelf, never read and then bagged (usually no boards, I know, sue me!  I was a kid!).  Plus they've always been in boxes and stored with care.  Several books I've sent to CGC and all came back 9.4-9.8.  That said I did look for nice copies at my LCS back in the day.  The bags when removed were often slightly cloudy and yellowed.  Replaced with new polys except for any keys which go in mylars.  Repeat in 30 years

I agree same thing I did with my books. They survived for quite a long time that way and came back nicely from CGC as well when I send them in.

I still have books in bags that are 30+ years old. I don't think any damage has occurred. Whether those books are worth anything is a guess. Probably some are over $10, maybe over $50, others are not. I'm not too worried about them. I'll change the bags/boards when I finally get to them.