• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM SM 129
1 1

16 posts in this topic

PGM SM 129

Picked this up at my lcs, what do you guys think it would grade at

SM%20129_zpsyf76lmry.jpg

SM%20129%20back_zpserat3l5k.jpg

31 minutes ago, sorb3t said:

As it sits I'm at 7.0 tops. Spots on back top center cover and on bottom of front cover. Great eye appeal otherwise!

It has been pointed out to me that the type of discoloration near the spine on the back cleans off really easily with a light gray eraser from any office supply. Just a really light touch.  It indeed does work fine. I have yet to try that on a color cover and eventually will with a book having no real value. I am not reading the spots you refer to and I don't know how involved they are. I should probably clean my monitor more than once a year. It seems to me for a book to get above a 7.5, it needs to be pretty clean with no spine ticks in the first place.  

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

It has been pointed out to me that the type of discoloration near the spine on the back cleans off really easily with a light gray eraser from any office supply. Just a really light touch.  It indeed does work fine. I have yet to try that on a color cover and eventually will with a book having no real value. I am not reading the spots you refer to and I don't know how involved they are. I should probably clean my monitor more than once a year. It seems to me for a book to get above a 7.5, it needs to be pretty clean with no spine ticks in the first place.  

0 spine tics is a tall order for a book that old.

On 6/9/2017 at 6:22 PM, SteppinRazor said:

0 spine tics is a tall order for a book that old.

I think you're right. I just sold an 8.5 of this book and it has no spine ticks at all. I have a 9.4 that doesn't have them either. I cheated, I bought them off the news stand in 1974 and just put them away until this last winter. I've never opened the 9.4. I guess I never will.  It did get opened when it was slabbed and graded, or at least I assume it did. I wish I had bought every one on that stand but I limited myself to five dollars a month and comics had gotten expensive. I think at that time, my apartment rent was 80 dollars.  

8 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I think you're right. I just sold an 8.5 of this book and it has no spine ticks at all. I have a 9.4 that doesn't have them either. I cheated, I bought them off the news stand in 1974 and just put them away until this last winter. I've never opened the 9.4. I guess I never will.  It did get opened when it was slabbed and graded, or at least I assume it did. I wish I had bought every one on that stand but I limited myself to five dollars a month and comics had gotten expensive. I think at that time, my apartment rent was 80 dollars.  

(thumbsu.  I'm glad you have a couple.  And had the foresight and care to avoid spine tics for so long.  My comics seem to get them if you look at them too long.  I should probably stop doing that.

10 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

(thumbsu.  I'm glad you have a couple.  And had the foresight and care to avoid spine tics for so long.  My comics seem to get them if you look at them too long.  I should probably stop doing that.

Oh, you're right. Enjoying them is out of the question..

It seems to me a this point that when a book is stored in a stack, particularly raw with no backer board That the spines are somewhat thicker than the rest of the book and cumulatively it puts some stress on the spine . Then, if you pick the book up holding the backside with four fingers and your thumb on the front cover holding it down- that's where spine ticks get a foothold. It crinkles the book just a touch but in older books that don't have the elasticity of brand new ones, it starts a tick, maybe two. Where they happen would I imagine depend on how the book was held. I certainly made the mistake of keeping my books in stacks of usually 125 or so. I simply had no idea and notions of protecting comics in 1968 were not something anyone I knew cared about.  So, over the decades in storage they deteriorated some. It's sad but  it's what happened.  I have quite a number that are still wonderful but could have been monetarily more wonderful if I had known how to keep them. I still dislike slabs a lot. I let my son read the AF15 before it went in one and I caught a lot of heat for doing that.  He was really careful . For around fifty  years it's just been in a box. At least it was in a mylar bag that's all yellowing now. I'm yellowing too. That's life. 

8 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

It seems to me a this point that when a book is stored in a stack, particularly raw with no backer board That the spines are somewhat thicker than the rest of the book and cumulatively it puts some stress on the spine . Then, if you pick the book up holding the backside with four fingers and your thumb on the front cover holding it down- that's where spine ticks get a foothold. It crinkles the book just a touch but in older books that don't have the elasticity of brand new ones, it starts a tick, maybe two. Where they happen would I imagine depend on how the book was held. I certainly made the mistake of keeping my books in stacks of usually 125 or so. I simply had no idea and notions of protecting comics in 1968 were not something anyone I knew cared about.  So, over the decades in storage they deteriorated some. It's sad but  it's what happened.  I have quite a number that are still wonderful but could have been monetarily more wonderful if I had known how to keep them. I still dislike slabs a lot. I let my son read the AF15 before it went in one and I caught a lot of heat for doing that.  He was really careful . For around fifty  years it's just been in a box. At least it was in a mylar bag that's all yellowing now. I'm yellowing too. That's life. 

True that.  I started collecting about the time of common bagging and boarding so they are in great condition, except I stored them flat for some intervals since I bought the last one in 1995.  And they have been pretty transient since then, either in my or my brother's possession and we both moved a lot.  So it goes.  Sometimes though, I swear spine tics appear just from carrying a comic from one room to another.

Edited by SteppinRazor