• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 3

141 posts in this topic

OK, let me be the very first to b_tch and moan about the grading. Can someone explain to me how a book with a 1/4 inch (0.6 cm for our metric friends) color-breaking spine crease checks in at a cool 9.4? This one has me baffled.

I salute all of you savants that got this one right!

Good thing I didn't go 9.0 like I was originally leaning... confused-smiley-013.gif

1/4 inch is what DID sway me to go 9.0, that and the bottom edge, centre, of the front cover and what looked like a few spine stress lines. My original was going to be a 9.2, but the force was telling me no way, a 9.4 didn't even come into play.

I guess it's better to undergrade then it is to over grade.

Good job to those who got it right. thumbsup2.gif

When I've narrowed it down to either a 9.4 or a 9.2, I'll look at the census as part of my evaluation. And with those spine stresses, I still would go with a 9.2.

I let the census sway me. One 9.4 and six 9.2s. makepoint.gif

Kinda defeats the prurpose of testing your grading skills when you reference the Census for numbers...

Jim

Besides, it's a good idea to check the census to make sure there actually is a book with the grade you've decided on....especially if it's an old label. Right?

Christo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

You weren't far off poke2.gif

Everytime I've been between two grades (9.2/9.4 this last one) and guessed the wrong one!

tonofbricks.gif

Weeeeelllll in that case, tear away! crazy.gif

The following people guessed 9.0 and receive 1 Point

1 Brockley

2 Jimm94

3 NorrinRadd

4 TheBrain

5 Scrooge

6 Nefaria

newbb79label.JPG

9.4 my [#@$%!!!]!

sumo.gif

I over-graded the last book which looks FAR better than that book. If that's a 9.4, you can kiss my @ss! I'm outta here!

:stormsoff:

I over-graded the last book which looks FAR better than that book. If that's a 9.4, you can kiss my @ss! I'm outta here!

:stormsoff:

893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm not the only one who thinks that is NOT a 9.4. mad.gif

OK, let me be the very first to b_tch and moan about the grading. Can someone explain to me how a book with a 1/4 inch (0.6 cm for our metric friends) color-breaking spine crease checks in at a cool 9.4? This one has me baffled.

9.4 THIS!

685803-CGCthis.jpg

tongue.gif

I'm not the only one who thinks that is NOT a 9.4. mad.gif

9.4 THIS!

685803-CGCthis.jpg

tongue.gif

It's a nikos 9.4... gossip.gifflowerred.gif