• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No idea what im doing

10 posts in this topic

No idea what im doing

Brand new to this. Im somehwat of a collector and i have 2 comics id like to get graded and put in that nice plastic covering.

what do i do? how do i do it?

Its batman new 52 #1 that i want graded the most.

3 hours ago, MuzzyESP said:

No idea what im doing

Brand new to this. Im somehwat of a collector and i have 2 comics id like to get graded and put in that nice plastic covering.

One option is to attend a con in your area and drop your books off at the CGC booth there.

Another option is to find a Local Comic Shop (LCS) that is also a CGC dealer and have them sub the books for you.

A third option would be if you want to submit your books directly to CGC yourself.  They have membership options available (from $40/yr. on up IIRC).  Then you can fill out their online submission form here: https://www.cgccomics.com/services/index.aspx

If you want to know about how much your submission will cost ahead of time, I have a Google Sheet that is available publicly that you can use in my sig line.

GL! HTH!

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

Lethal_Collector is spot on.

My personal suggestion is if you only have two, the easiest route is to go to a local shop that is a dealer, which you can find here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/dealerlisting.aspx

The dealers can take care of all the submission stuff.  With yours, I'd choose the modern tier.  You'll need a declared value (insurance value if it gets lost or damaged).  Price that based on the best possible grade, plus money for your efforts to go find a replacement.  Pack it like it's a priceless fabergé egg.  Or, show it to the dealer first if you want his/her opinion, then pack it like it's a priceless fabergé egg.

GL!

6 hours ago, MuzzyESP said:

No idea what im doing

I would take the time to scan the 2 books you want to submit, then post them in the "Please Grade My.." forum and get a board consensus as to what the grade of the books are in advance. There is little point in sending in a new 52 Batman #1 that is a 9.0

If he likes the books and wants them slabbed, then don't tell him not to. I wonder all the time the mid grade moderns submitted valued at like $2. I can only guess they have more sentimental value than monetary value as the cost of slab with shipping both ways exceeds the value of the book itself. Maybe it's his first 2 comics he ever bought.

15 minutes ago, Philflound said:

If he likes the books and wants them slabbed, then don't tell him not to. I wonder all the time the mid grade moderns submitted valued at like $2. I can only guess they have more sentimental value than monetary value as the cost of slab with shipping both ways exceeds the value of the book itself. Maybe it's his first 2 comics he ever bought.

You are correct, I do not know the motivations as to why the OP is wanting to submit.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:08 PM, Artboy99 said:
On 6/7/2017 at 8:52 PM, Philflound said:

You are correct, I do not know the motivations as to why the OP is wanting to submit.

Even if they are the first books they ever bought-- or some other sentimental attachment is involved-- will slabbing them make them as enjoyable as being able to read or hold them in their hands? This is somewhat similar to the "Certify" thread along those lines.

On 6/7/2017 at 11:52 PM, Philflound said:

If he likes the books and wants them slabbed, then don't tell him not to. 

It's perfectly reasonable to give him advice either way. He will still make his own decision. 

On 6/7/2017 at 9:08 PM, Artboy99 said:

He likes it rough? (shrug)