• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I trade my Hulk 181 for a AF15 UK

19 posts in this topic

Should I trade my Hulk 181 for a AF15 UK

Hi,

I hope somebody here can help with a "problem".

I have been asked if I would like to trade my Hulk 181 CGC 9.4 for a AF15 Uk Edition, not graded. I have been told that the AF15 is somewhere around a 2.0 or lower (have not seen any pictures yet). Since I dont know how rare or how valuable the UK version are I hope that someone here can help me :D

I'd do it ? Pending images and no resto guarantee.  

I'd think a U.K. 2.0 has got to be worth a $5000 bronze book?

Edited by Comicdey

2 minutes ago, locomat said:

Ohhh that sound good!!!

But that is a major difference compared to the US version :o

Its just the price box that's different?  I guess its all about your collecting standards.  I would prefer the high grade book over a beater.  If you are collecting just for monetary gain then maybe, and maybe the UK versions are a little undervalued at this point, as compared to the spike in price that is occurring now.

3 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Its just the price box that's different?  I guess its all about your collecting standards.  I would prefer the high grade book over a beater.  If you are collecting just for monetary gain then maybe, and maybe the UK versions are a little undervalued at this point, as compared to the spike in price that is occurring now.

It is just the price box!!!

Well I would also prefer a high grade but I will probably never be able to afford one :( And I d rather have a low AF15 then a high grade Hulk 181.

According to GPA, a 2.0 UK edition sold for $8,611 this past March and a 1.8 UK sold for $7,074 in August of last year.

It seems like a good trade to me, and I do think UK editions are underpriced.

That being said, you would want to be very confident of the grade, and like comicdey said, the absence of restoration. Keep in mind that the GPA data is a descent indicator of possible value, but does you no good if the book comes back a .5 or in a purple label.

I always get nervous with raw books, especially of that kind of value.  IF there is no restoration and it could hopefully pull a 1.5 or better, I'd do the trade.  You could possibly sell the AF15 and then upgrade to a Hulk 181 9.6 if you prefer to have the Hulk over the AF.  It also depends how attached you are to your particular copy of Hulk 181.  While they are common, it's not always easy to find one with very nice centering.

2 hours ago, locomat said:

It is just the price box!!!

Well I would also prefer a high grade but I will probably never be able to afford one :( And I d rather have a low AF15 then a high grade Hulk 181.

No it's not just the price box. 

It is also missing the cover date month and the interior indicia on the inside front cover is different, reflecting its foreign distribution.   

-J.

Looking at the trade from a financial perspective, as long as the AF #15 checks out as unrestored in the stated grade it is a win for you. Flip it and buy another Hulk #181 CGC 9.4 to replace your copy and add a couple of grand to the war chest.

1 hour ago, grube09 said:

I always get nervous with raw books, especially of that kind of value.  IF there is no restoration and it could hopefully pull a 1.5 or better, I'd do the trade.  You could possibly sell the AF15 and then upgrade to a Hulk 181 9.6 if you prefer to have the Hulk over the AF.  It also depends how attached you are to your particular copy of Hulk 181.  While they are common, it's not always easy to find one with very nice centering.

+ 1 raw scares the heck out of me for big books.

3 hours ago, CashMoney said:

This is a no brainer.  Please, there are more copies of Hulk 181 available on the market than there are grains of sand on a beach, and more ungraded copies than you count on eBay.  I don't care what the grade is on the Hulk 181 -- the AF15 (UK, Chinese or any foreign edition for that matter) is a dream comic for grown ups - the Hulk 181 is dream comic for kids.  No comparison.      

What makes it a brainer is the fact that he doesn't really really know what he is getting if it is ungraded. Its a huge book - even if it is the UK edition, and there is always a risk of restoration, not to mention that 0.5 grade difference makes a huge difference in value. Honestly, I would save up, keep my #181 and purchase a graded example. I would even prefer to actually sell the 181 for a FMV and buy a graded AF15. 

Also, I sadly don't consider myself a kid anymore but #181 is in my list ;-)

1 hour ago, CashMoney said:

I was slightly exaggerating about Hulk 181 being a "kid's book", but you get the gist of my argument.  There are countless copies of Hulk 181 available, and only a limited supply of the AF15 (admittedly, I also don't consider AF15 particularly rare, as there are thousands of graded copies - and perhaps a thousand more ungraded copies), but it is exponentially harder to find an AF15 than a Hulk 181.  This is because the masses already started collecting comics by the time Hulk 181 was published, whereas comic collecting was in its infancy back in the early 1960's.  Nevertheless, I personally, would rather own an AF15 UK than a Hulk 181 in high grade.  Of course, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion in this matter!      

I am totally with you and I am not even close to arguing which book is more important. But again, I -personally- wouldn't trade, not because I wouldn't prefer owning an AF15 vs a Hulk 181, but because in this case too much information is missing about the particular AF15 (information that heavily affects the value - and we are talking about 1000s of dollars). 

I gave you the advice.  Now go take it.  If you can hold the U.K. AF 15 in hand, you should be able to page count and do a basic check of resto.  Bring somehow knowledgeable if not.   Many ways to make the deal go down and protect your investment ?  Good luck 

Thanx for everybodies help!!!

So he is going to get it graded and as soon he get´s it back we are going to talk about the trade again. I would say it is the savest way for both of us.

The trade may not be near as good for you once it's graded. Then your risk is gone as is the potential reward.

good luck and I hope you get the book you want.