• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Annuals

8 posts in this topic

When people talk about HG DC annuals--especially the real early ones--what is meant by HG? My Superman Annual 2 came back an 8.5. I always consider HG as being 9.0 and higher--especially higher. I was a bit disappointed with the 8.5 yet wouldn't it be considered more of a HG book than a mid-grade book. Anyway, just wondering.

Traditionally HG has meant anything from 8.5 and up, but that was always the loosest definition, and there have always been collectors who did not want a book that was "only" VF or VF+. It really depends on who you talk to. Some people would consider anything 9.0 and above to be HG. Others who will go unnamed on these boards spit on anything lower than a 9.4. tongue.gif

Regardless of what any person might perceive as HG, I don't think the definition of HG changes because of the nature of the book. Just because there may not be a copy of a particular book above 6.0 does not mean that a 6.0 copy is therefore HG. It simply means that the best copy is a mid-grade, and collectors should set their expectations (and price expectations) for a 6.0 copy accordingly.

I think a sliding scale for what defines high grade as it relates to the various ages makes sense. An 8.0 copy of any Golden Age book is impressive and would be considered High Grade by most collectors, whereas 8.0 would be mid-grade for a modern book. I'll leave it to others to argue where the exact cut-off should be for each era.

For early silver age DC,it would be my opinion that 8.5 would be HG.

For bronze age ,I don't think 8.5 would fit the HG bill.

A book that is 6.0,even if it the highet graded book, in any era isn't HG. Might be extremely desireable but thats not the same as being HG.

I agree! And it's about time Overstreet begins using a sliding scale. Heck, I think an 8.5 grade for early silver is very hard to come by. I would list a 9.2 as the highest grade for Silver and 8.5 for Golden. (IMO)

"... But it goes to 11!" frustrated.gif I feel like I'm having a conversation with Nigel Tufnel.

Who cares what you call it?! If All-American 16 is IMPOSSIBLE to find in any unrestored grade above 5.0, then any issue appearing in 6.0 or above will be highly coveted by sophisticated GA collectors. Do you think these people have to be told by Bob Overstreet that 6.0 is HG for All-American 16 in order for them to throw ridiculous premiums at the book?

I will buy 8.5 slabbed DC's all day long at guide or slightly above, which is what they "usually" sell for. Then I will break it out of the slab, hide the label behind a backing board, and just enjoy it as a raw beautiful book. cloud9.gif