• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over Circulated Bronze Age Books.

9 posts in this topic

I know a few books have huge print runs and I'm aware that various books towards that later part of the era were immediately bagged and boarded leaving an entire run in nm condition but I don't hear any particular books being spoken about. I would assume that Incredible Hulk #181 would be one of these vastly over circulated books because there is ALWAYS 15 copies being sold on eBay at any one time but what are some others? Anyone have any clues were I could find this information? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Two places that I would look at are;

a) The CGC census. Look for issues that are slabbed in numbers far greater than their compadres With earlier Ba books this gets a little dicey as the cut-off of 1975 for the modern tier makes it more economical to slab 1975 books than 1974 ones

b) Track down the ads for Chucks mile High 2 books. Most of these will be available in higher numbers than books that were not listed.

I don't currently subscribe to GPA,but if you do-I'd imagine that you could get a feel by examing prices that similar issues get. The lower the price,the more available the bookk,I would think.

Hope that helps.

there are lots of hulk 181s for sale here because there's money to be made, not that it had a big print run relative to 180, 183, etc.)

if you have a beat to heck copy of 183, would you bother listing it individually here? but a beat to heck 181 is still worth some bucks.

i've never heard that this book was speculated on (as in people buying hundreds/thousands of copies wholesale) any more than any other book from that era. they were introducing new characters all the time back then, nothing special about wolvie.

if anything, the warlock issues right before then would have been more probable speculation fodder.

some people were out there buying 500 or whatever copies of EVERY marvel that came out each month. legend has it that carbonaro was one of them, although I will presume that his early inventory has mainly been sold off after doing 30 years of shows and now ebay too. obviously the koch brothers and presumably anyone who advertised selling old comics in your 70s comics was salting books away. some probably resulted in more purchases. I will assume that Peter Parker SS #1 and Star Wars were obvious candidates for even huger speculation by even more people as were the various Kirby #1s that marvel pumped out (and DC a couple of years earlier). Anniversary issues like Avengers 150, Hulk 200 would be good candidates too.

some people were out there buying 500 or whatever copies of EVERY marvel that came out each month. legend has it that carbonaro was one of them, although I will presume that his early inventory has mainly been sold off after doing 30 years of shows and now ebay too. obviously the koch brothers and presumably anyone who advertised selling old comics in your 70s comics was salting books away. some probably resulted in more purchases. I will assume that Peter Parker SS #1 and Star Wars were obvious candidates for even huger speculation by even more people as were the various Kirby #1s that marvel pumped out (and DC a couple of years earlier). Anniversary issues like Avengers 150, Hulk 200 would be good candidates too.

When I was a kid, everybody bought PPSS#1... even those (like myself) that never collected any other spider-book.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Much of The Koch-Dolgoff-Koch inventory came from buying out Robert Bells stock.

Another source would be The Standard Catalog of Comics by Krause Publications, but I believe there is a new edition due out soon,so don't rush out to buy the second edition.

i know me and my brother had 5 copies of PPSS#1 between us in 1978 or whenever it came out. granted, we were mainly spidey guys.

yet, somehow, these books have been absorbed into the market.

it always seemed to be a toss in whenever I was buying a stack of BA or SA comics in the early 90s.

I remember when Peter Parker came out,I went direct to the distributor and bought a brick of it,went home and after carefully wrapping it,put it away for posterity. Between that and a brick of Nova,I was sure I had the down payment on my future house.I had high hopes for that $37 investment.I still have multiple copies of that original PP purchase.

This is an awesome topic! I am new here, but I would probably say the following books are over circulated and readily available: Champions #1, Nova #1, Eternals #1, Godzilla #1, Machine Man #1, PP Spider-Man #1, Star Wars #1 (sorry-but I have seen many long boxes of this comic in NM), Devil Dinosaur #1, and countless others!

Hard to find BRONZE AGE books: I would say War is Hell #1, DEAD OF NIGHT #1 (HA-still can't find it!) Cat #1, and many more!