• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lady In White
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Lady In White

So I thought I'd post something for us to read as we wait for the Jon Berk auctions to close. 

A few years ago @miraclemet put together a collection he called Lady In White.  Then after putting it together, he decided to sell it.   I remember reading with great interest his posts about putting the collection together, and then how sad I was when he decided to sell it (but of course I think we all understand wanting to change collecting direction from time to time).

Anyway, fast forward to a couple weeks ago.  I was looking at some of my comics and I realized my herd included "Lady In White" books.  So I decided to put together a Lady In White collection.  But what to call it?  Damsel In White?  Gothic Chicks?  Really, "Lady In White" was the best name.  So today I PM'd miraclemet, and he gave me permission to use Lady In White.

To be in the set, the cover has to have a gothic feel to it, with a damsel in distress wearing a flowing white dress or gown.  The books have to be silver or gold, perhaps bronze, but definitely not modern.  For bronze and silver my threshold is at least 9.0.  I haven't decided yet for gold.  If you know of comics that qualify, please let me know. 

Here's what I have so far (and I made a major pick up today; I'll post it when I get it).

593f2aebcdd83_HouseofMystery210CGC9_6102.jpg.73d1de6869f7fa09b2fcc356c05d8a3c.jpg593f2aecc1efc_PhantomStranger26CGC9_488.jpg.6a8d1fa896fddaa886a2982fe3783e2e.jpg593f2aeddd786_WonderWoman200CGC9.4.jpg.c294d24af2c777e59ee731e4faa2d792.jpg593f2aee8d6e4_DraculaLives5CGC9_825.jpg.42c8e1b164988df9d093eb029b53b953.jpg593f2aed35e19_SecretsofSinisterHouse5CGC9_4138.jpg.c888ca2db2b9c864739d181a0fec573a.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

1 minute ago, Pat Calhoun said:

im937.jpg

Ugh! Now you're tempting me to branch off into paperbacks.  I think I'll leave it up to CGC.  If CGC won't grade it, then I can't add it to the collection.  

Edited by n2wdw

Here's my old collection, far from complete, and you've already bested me on some nicer copies! I'm looking forward to seeing your collection grow. The 70s gothic horror revival was definitely a DC thing, and yes you can find lots of beautiful pulps out there to tempt you as well! Heritage seems to frequently have the original art from those gothic horror paperback covers in their auctions, and it's lovely to see.  

xdnvd2J.jpg

Golden age Venus covers she is sometimes in white, but may not have the gothic feel.

I have a similar collection but the damsels in distress have to be in red. There are a LOT of red dresses.

Edited by Artboy99

33 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Golden age Venus covers she is sometimes in white, but may not have the gothic feel.

Venus is a great idea... looks like #1 and #6 are white dress covers. (thumbsu  I couldn't think of any GA that fit the bill, but those get you probably as close with golden age as you are going to get.

23 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Here's my old collection, far from complete, and you've already bested me on some nicer copies! I'm looking forward to seeing your collection grow. The 70s gothic horror revival was definitely a DC thing, and yes you can find lots of beautiful pulps out there to tempt you as well! Heritage seems to frequently have the original art from those gothic horror paperback covers in their auctions, and it's lovely to see.  

xdnvd2J.jpg

Thanks, your original collection was definitely my inspiration.  I seem to remember you going back and forth about whether to include certain books in the set, and the same is happening to me.  For example, I love that Night Nurse but at this point I'm not sure about putting it into the set.  Also, I'm not sure how strict to be about "white" or if other colors are okay, like that House of Secrets from your old set. Oh well, these decisions are part of the fun of doing something like this.

16 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have a similar collection but the damsels in distress have to be in red. There are a LOT of red dresses.

I'd love to see your collection.  Have you posted it somewhere?

I think I'll probably not include the Venus comics in mine for the reason you mention, they don't have the gothic feel.  Also, the lady has to be in distress -- that's the case with 6 but not 1.  

Trying to find gothic in the golden age may be the hardest thing.  Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

On 6/13/2017 at 6:29 AM, miraclemet said:

I bought, and still have, your old HOS #90 (available for sale now if any of you fellows need it)...it was one of your Ladies in Red amidst all those Ladies in White...

4 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Thanks, your original collection was definitely my inspiration.  I seem to remember you going back and forth about whether to include certain books in the set, and the same is happening to me.  For example, I love that Night Nurse but at this point I'm not sure about putting it into the set.  Also, I'm not sure how strict to be about "white" or if other colors are okay, like that House of Secrets from your old set. Oh well, these decisions are part of the fun of doing something like this.

My personal rule was if the cover had all the other "Gothic horror" elements, but no white dress, I still kept it in...That night nurse just had to much of a Scooby Doo vibe for me...

On ‎2017‎/‎06‎/‎14 at 3:48 AM, n2wdw said:

I'd love to see your collection.  Have you posted it somewhere?

I think I'll probably not include the Venus comics in mine for the reason you mention, they don't have the gothic feel.  Also, the lady has to be in distress -- that's the case with 6 but not 1.  

Trying to find gothic in the golden age may be the hardest thing.  Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

Ok :)

I should say that I no longer own a lot of these "Red Outfit women in distress" books. Ultimately these led me to Planet Comics, and I traded/sold most of these books ( not all ) for Planets. I branched out from just red dresses to different types of outfits that contained red, tops, skirts, etc but tried to maintain the woman in distress theme. Eventually I also branched out to other color dresses, including white, green, blue, yellow, etc. There are hundreds of books, and I could have posted more here. I am sure you get the idea.

Beware10CGC65A_zpsj6auysoa.jpg

FamousFunnies212_zps86e7ebf8.jpg

ast10_zps66823446.jpg

red bikini count? It does for me!

PlanetComics14raw30_zpsc5852bea.jpg

BT20.jpg

Bafflingfront_zps38dff4cf.jpg

Venus19_zps8981402e.jpg

WeirdSCience20_zpsf952930b.jpg

MisterMystery7_zps8ce8a4a2.jpg

IMG_1231_zpsa3101271.jpg

DoH1_zpsff9d4a0f.jpg