• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything stopping EC from starting up a new horror series?

39 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Sam is such a nice guy and enjoyable story teller.  All his USS Stevens stories are now available in one convenient volume:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-S-Stevens-Collected-Stories-Graphic/dp/0486801586/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497592518&sr=8-1&keywords=sam+glanzman

Sam Glanzman is 92 years old; his older brother Louis ('Lew') Glanzman (also an artist, e.g., 'The Shark' for Centaur) died in 2013 at the age of 91.

Louis started in comics at the age of 16, and was responsible for getting his brother started in the hobby (with freelance work also for Centaur).

Two very talented brothers...

9 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Sam is such a nice guy and enjoyable story teller.  All his USS Stevens stories are now available in one convenient volume:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-S-Stevens-Collected-Stories-Graphic/dp/0486801586/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497592518&sr=8-1&keywords=sam+glanzman

Thanks. I ordered it. (thumbsu

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Judge for yourself:

Those are reprints of Kurtzman's EC war stories which some people may already have from other TPBs.

7 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Those are reprints of Kurtzman's EC war stories which some people may already have from other TPBs.

?

I thought he was asking about the quality of Kurtzman's story material in general.

You're right though if he was asking just about the quality of those books.

Either way it was a good excuse to post a couple of the better Kurtzman war stories from said series. :nyah:

23 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Anything stopping EC from starting up a new horror series?

One would think (or hope) it'd be better than most of the drivel out there today !

Hearkening back to the glory days...

There actually is a brand-new Tales From The Crypt series. I just happened to see an issue at my LCS.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC161849

I guess it's pretty far under the radar if no one here knew about it! Yeah, tough to match the top talent that was on board in the 1950s, and to make as big a splash as EC did back then.

11 hours ago, N e r V said:

I wish Pacific Comics had lasted longer to produce more of these. Several of these books are underrated and undervalued in my opinion. Alien Worlds #2 and 4 by Stevens are as good as anything anyone produced in precode Sci-Fi in the 1940's or 50's.

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.a276d6fed969153a3ae9b9e74ca9a34e.JPGIMG_0003.JPG.5ed4c341d6e598f0cbb2143b7dcf54e3.JPGIMG_0004.thumb.JPG.0b633143438edd5274429564ba668861.JPGIMG_0005.thumb.JPG.36c08b2b0105016bfacac800d653447a.JPG

Love this stuff!

Those Dave Stevens Alien Worlds covers are fantastic.

11 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Either way it was a good excuse to post a couple of the better Kurtzman war stories from said series. :nyah:

I am of the opinion that Kurtzman's war stories are at the pinnacle of comic art, peers with only a select few others.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

I am of the opinion that Kurtzman's war stories are at the pinnacle of comic art, peers with only a select few others.

I like all his stuff but I'm clearly biased towards his original Mad comics. The series survived just fine after he left but it never returned to the state of art and humor he had going there. Early Mad is something special and easily some of my favourite items in my collection. As a kid I remember looking for all the Mad Specials that had those reproduction copies of the early Mad comics as inserts.

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Love this stuff!

Those Dave Stevens Alien Worlds covers are fantastic.

Being in the San Diego area I have a lot of good memories of speaking with Dave Stevens including some funny ones from the SDCC. 

Another early loss in comics of a great talent.

I'm kind of surprised that his work above or any one of his other classic covers like Crossfire don't get more interest as back issues. Most of his stuff is very cheap for what you get. Maybe someday collectors will rediscover how good this stuff is.

20 minutes ago, N e r V said:

723217.jpg

$7.00 back issue? That's a steal guys. :)

I love that cover.

I decided to buy the recently released Dave Stevens art collection books: his drawings of women/ portraits and his comicbook stuff. I highly recommend them.

DaveStevensCoversandStories.jpg

Dave_Stevens_02.jpg

StevensInt1-L.jpg

dave-stevenscoversketchbook.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

9 hours ago, adamstrange said:

It doesn't seem to be the case that the Dark Horse books are just EC reprints, according to the contents list of #1 in the GCD. That says that there's one EC reprint story and the rest seems to be new. I can't find the contents of #2, though the cover story looks like it might be the one from Frontline Combat #2. I was asking if the non-EC stuff was worth having. (shrug)

Edited by AJD

17 minutes ago, AJD said:

It doesn't seem to be the case that the Dark Horse books are just EC reprints, according to the contents list of #1 in the GCD. That says that there's one EC reprint story and the rest seems to be new. I can't find the contents of #2, though the cover story looks like it might be the one from Frontline Combat #2. I was asking if the non-EC stuff was worth having. (shrug)

I don't have those but they contain some Don Lomax work who is well thought of for his The Nam and Vietman Journal stories around that time.