• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unreleased variant? Is this really unreleased?

10 posts in this topic

Unreleased variant? Is this really unreleased?

Hey, pretty new to the forums still. This is my second post. Definitely could use some insight on this.

So, I received a bunch of comics from a friend recently as a gift. And I put a few of them up on ebay to get a little extra money for school. A few of them were Justice League vs. Suicide Squad 1 virgin variants. Today, I got a message from some guy who says he's Islander comics and this was an exclusive variant meant for him, and he had to send these all back to DC. And he was curious how I got it. Needless to say I looked it up and found an article on bleeding cool about this not being released. 

So, does anyone know anything else about this comic? Did I somehow end up with one of the only copies?  

cover.jpg

I just heard back from the guy who messaged me, and he confirmed that apparently this was unreleased. Here's what he said:

"LOL...sorry about that. I thought it was included in the message (the auction page). Big mess with that book. An ex close friend of mine made this order with DC for the book without my permission. Diamond and DC accepted the order without checking with me first. He represented himself as a purchaser of the company. He didnt have funds to cover so when it came billed to me he bailed. It was a pretty expensive order otherwise I might have purchased the books myself. DC and Diamond took the books back and I didnt have to pay for anything fortunately. But I had to send the whole order back. I guess I could of ask to keep at least a set for myself...Oh well. I tried to keep track of this item and see if any pop up anywhere on the internet. Thanks for the input."

So I guess my question now is, has anyone seen any of these books around? He said he sent them all back. But I ended up with a couple of them so I doubt they were just thrown out. 

And also, does anyone have any idea what this might be worth?

Edited by .mike
question

I honestly couldn't say where my friend works. It's too bad though, I had no idea the book was unreleased. I had two copies and I sold the other one on ebay for $60 last week, since I thought it was just a standard virgin variant.

10 hours ago, .mike said:

I honestly couldn't say where my friend works. It's too bad though, I had no idea the book was unreleased. I had two copies and I sold the other one on ebay for $60 last week, since I thought it was just a standard virgin variant.

You don't know where your "friend" works?

gotcha...

I know, I just couldn't say... :wink:

I appreciated the gift. Doesn't seem like posting info about where this "friend" works would be a very good way to show my gratitude.

23 minutes ago, .mike said:

I know, I just couldn't say... :wink:

I appreciated the gift. Doesn't seem like posting info about where this "friend" works would be a very good way to show my gratitude.

understandable :) 

seems like I remember that it was dicontinued or that it all of a sudden wasn't going to be for sale anymore.... I don't think that I ever found out why either....

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

understandable :) 

seems like I remember that it was dicontinued or that it all of a sudden wasn't going to be for sale anymore.... I don't think that I ever found out why either....

Well, assuming the guy who messaged me on ebay really was the owner of Islander comics, the explanation that I got was that apparently someone at his shop set up the whole deal for that shop exclusive variant set without his knowledge. And I guess when the order arrived nobody was interested in paying for it, and he got DC and Diamond to take the entire order back. 

He told me he wasn't sure what happened to the books, and that he sent the entire shipment back to DC. 

Yes, so what I'm gathering is your friend works for the publisher of the comic. Most likely those comics were never meant to be in circulation.

There was a seller on eBay recently who was obviously in possession of comics that were not released yet. The logic would be that they were taking them from work or selling for someone who was.