• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies or Shows on Blu-Ray and 4K Ultra HD
1 1

119 posts in this topic

Warner Bros. Discovery is collecting the best of those cartoons in digital HD and Blu-ray on May 16, with a newly remastered set of 17 of Fleischer's Superman shorts.

"Warner Bros. Discovery’s advanced remastering process began with a 4K, 16-bit scan of Fleischer’s original 35mm successive exposure negative," explains the official announcement. 

"Staying true to the original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.37-to-1, the highest quality raw image was then scanned and then entered into the recombine process – utilizing special proprietary software to merge the successive exposure Technicolor negatives into a single RGB color image," it continues. "The end results are pristine animated shorts that have been restored to the animators’ originally intended production quality."

About time!

More details about the Max Fleischer's Superman blu-ray.

Warner Bros. Discovery has meticulously remastered Max Fleischer’s treasured set of 17 animated Superman shorts from the original 35mm source elements.

Warner Bros. Discovery’s advanced remastering process began with a 4K, 16-bit scan of Fleischer’s original 35mm successive exposure negative. Staying true to the original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.37-to-1, the highest quality raw image was then scanned and then entered into the recombine process – utilizing special proprietary software to merge the successive exposure Technicolor negatives into a single RGB color image. The end result are pristine animated shorts that have been restored to the animators’ originally intended production quality.

SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:

1. New Featurette – Superman: Speeding Toward Tomorrow – Superman’s exploits in the Fleischer series modernized the monomyth of the Greek godlike hero and expanded and romanticized the prevalent themes of sci-fi and fantasy. It was this combination of heartfelt storytelling, relatable heroes and amazing visuals that has endeared the Fleischer series to fans as one of the greatest superhero stories of all time. This featurette explores the visual storytelling as the lavish animation, with special attention paid to all the atomic age technology, pushes science fiction closer to becoming a powerful social and pop culture force.
  2. Featurette – First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series – The Origins and Influence of This Groundbreaking Cartoon Series – A gathering of contemporary animators, comic book & animation historians, and legendary Fleischer artists examine these beloved shorts, focusing on the animation and the breakthrough techniques that created it, as well as studying the title character’s place in history.
  3. Featurette – The Man, the Myth, Superman: Exploring the Tradition of Superman Heroes on the Page and Screen – A fascinating study of Superman-esque characters throughout history – in ancient myth, literature and film – that bring forth imaginative, super-human qualities, captivating audiences and enduring the test of time. 

In April, Warner Brothers is releasing the 4 Christopher Reeve Superman films in 4k UHD with HDR and Atmos Sound. Reports are that Superman Returns was also going to be part of the set, but WB nixed it because of the Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey  scandals.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Superman-I-IV-5-Film-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/331718/

81tWrru-SUL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp

On 3/23/2023 at 6:19 AM, Larryw7 said:

In April, Warner Brothers is releasing the 4 Christopher Reeve Superman films in 4k UHD with HDR and Atmos Sound. Reports are that Superman Returns was also going to be part of the set, but WB nixed it because of the Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey  scandals.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Superman-I-IV-5-Film-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/331718/

81tWrru-SUL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp

If you ever claimed the Superman movies on either VUDU or Movies Anywhere and they were HD and the accounts were linked to iTunes, at least on iTunes they should all be upgraded to 4K for free.

:headbang:

I finally got around to watching Shout Factory's updated Swamp Thing (1982) blu-ray. It's a really nice transfer. And the extra features are interesting, as they include an interview with Adrienne Barbeau about the behind-the-scenes of filming. Including how the production company (not WB) started out with a much larger budget, and then proceeded to pull funds back from Wes Craven. So what he had available in the end was bare bones. And yes. This is the International Cut that included the AB bathing scene that was cut from the domestic Theatrical Cut.

My neck hurts, though. Barbeau had a number of running scenes. Even when she didn't need to. :jawdrop:

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, Bosco685 said:

Fqud489aMAAcuyP.thumb.jpeg.b8a2c83adc551392129976361deb62bf.jpeg

Picked this up today at a retailer. Really nice outside packaging, and the inside has a classic Max Fleischer Superman image and a chapter breakdown.

IMG_20230924_142806.thumb.jpg.eac738a5c0308fc539cea532a1675090.jpg

IMG_20230924_142759.thumb.jpg.a8bdb4b79ba27c31e3fffdb9042431c1.jpg

But that is it. No inserts. No digital copy. No celebration material about how this started it all for Superman in media. But I am glad I bought it, and am going to tear into the special features before watching any episodes. The first one talks you through even to this day how people are blown away by the quality of the stories and animation for something from the 1940s.

^^

On 9/24/2023 at 7:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

Picked this up today at a retailer. Really nice outside packaging, and the inside has a classic Max Fleischer Superman image and a chapter breakdown.

IMG_20230924_142806.thumb.jpg.eac738a5c0308fc539cea532a1675090.jpg

IMG_20230924_142759.thumb.jpg.a8bdb4b79ba27c31e3fffdb9042431c1.jpg

But that is it. No inserts. No digital copy. No celebration material about how this started it all for Superman in media. But I am glad I bought it, and am going to tear into the special features before watching any episodes. The first one talks you through even to this day how people are blown away by the quality of the stories and animation for something from the 1940s.

^^

About time I upgraded. The version I have is a cheap DVD from the early 2000s, £2 IIRC, which has an incomplete version of the circus episode. I think the print available at the time had been partly lost for some reason.

On 9/25/2023 at 10:47 AM, Ken Aldred said:

About time I upgraded. The version I have is a cheap DVD from the early 2000s, £2 IIRC, which has an incomplete version of the circus episode. I think the print available at the time had been partly lost for some reason.

Same here. I had picked up the Vol. 1 & 2 DVDs years ago and had to create my own DVD cover with all the epsidode names. But knowing one episode was missing.

This blu-ray transfer quality is solid. And I am really enjoying the special features.

Doomed! The Untold Story Of Roger Corman’s The Fantastic Four is a straightforward but pretty nifty documentary that does a nice job of both exploring its subject and explaining to audiences unfamiliar with it why they should care. The interviews are lively and engaging, yet there is no looking past the fact that most hardcore fans will already know what is explored here. The filmmaking fails to elevate the material, but those who just want the story told in a level-headed manner by those who lived it should feel this is a worthwhile endeavor. Uncork’d Entertainment has released a new MOD Blu-Ray that features a good A/V presentation and some pretty solid special features. If you want a broad overview of this subject, you will not go wrong here.

Recommended 

Doomed! The Untold Story Of Roger Corman’s The Fantastic Four can be purchased on Blu-Ray directly through MovieZyng or various other online retailers. 

image.thumb.png.74e1e6b7f36b7c9161783825f72043bb.png