• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading process

17 posts in this topic

I'm new to all this and was just wondering if somebody could walk me through the grading process.  I signed up for the Associate plan I believe so I'm allowed to submit 1-6 books a year for grading , but I'm not really sure how to go about this. (sort of)  It's a Modern age book with a value of less than $200, so when I look at the different tiers I get confused.  I'm assuming the Modern (1975-date) is what I want?  It will cost me $20 to have the book graded and a $5 handling fee?  I just fill out the paperwork online and send it in?  Will I have to pay any shipping costs to get the book back?  Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I've got all the bases covered so to say before I start sending in comics.  Thank you. :) 

Edited by frisbee

55 minutes ago, frisbee said:

I'm new to all this and was just wondering if somebody could walk me through the grading process.  I signed up for the Associate plan I believe so I'm allowed to submit 1-6 books a year for grading , but I'm not really sure how to go about this. (sort of)  It's a Modern age book with a value of less than $200, so when I look at the different tiers I get confused.  I'm assuming the Modern (1975-date) is what I want?  It will cost me $20 to have the book graded and a $5 handling fee?  I just fill out the paperwork online and send it in?  Will I have to pay any shipping costs to get the book back?  Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I've got all the bases covered so to say before I start sending in comics.  Thank you. :) 

I think the answer to all of your questions is Yes on all. Modern Tier, fill out the paperwork and send it in, you pay for return shipping.

Ok thanks. :)

So basically it's going to cost me about $50 or so to have a book graded give or take?  (fees, shipping costs etc)  Hmm...  If I ever wanted to sell a graded copy would I have to figure these costs into the price?  Just as an example, would a comic book with a $4.99 cover price and a 9.8 grade go for around $55 dollars or so?  Sorry about all the questions, I'm just trying to figure all this stuff out. 

4 hours ago, frisbee said:

So basically it's going to cost me about $50 or so to have a book graded give or take?  (fees, shipping costs etc)  Hmm...  If I ever wanted to sell a graded copy would I have to figure these costs into the price?  Just as an example, would a comic book with a $4.99 cover price and a 9.8 grade go for around $55 dollars or so?  Sorry about all the questions, I'm just trying to figure all this stuff out. 

Again, YES, you should consider the costs when deciding to grade. You also need to know, or have a good idea, of what the book will grade at. With Moderns, usually anything less than a 9.8 is not desirable. If you missed something and the book comes back with a poor grade, you will not recoup your costs. Your question on the 4.99 cover price in 9.8 is too general, it depends on the book. Look on E-Bay and see what your book is selling for, note I said selling for as in completed sales. Asking prices are worthless.

Just as an example something like a Dark Knight lll Master Race #1A would be something I would like to have in my collection. (CGC 9.8)  I'm assuming I shouldn't pay any more than $55 or $60 for this book, being that I can still get it raw for $4.99?  I've tried too, but what I've been sent just didn't meet my expectations unfortunately.  A blemish of any sort really stands out on that black cover.  Thanks for the help btw. :)

Edited by frisbee

58 minutes ago, frisbee said:

Just as an example something like a Dark Knight lll Master Race #1A would be something I would like to have in my collection. (CGC 9.8)  I'm assuming I shouldn't pay any more than $55 or $60 for this book, being that I can still get it raw for $4.99?  I've tried too, but what I've been sent just didn't meet my expectations unfortunately.  A blemish of any sort really stands out on that black cover.  Thanks for the help btw. :)

Not familiar with that book but sometimes it's easier just to buy the book already slabbed. The blemish you mention will probably NOT result in a 9.8 if you submitted.

On 6/29/2017 at 2:27 PM, frisbee said:

You can shave down the per book cost if you send more than one in at a time.

If you just want a couple of 9.8 comics, it is more than likely going to be cheaper to buy a slabbed comic, assuming you want a couple modern books.

I got another question for you guys & girls if you don't mind.  I just spent $165 on an X-Men #256.  ($150 for the book., $15 for the shipping/Psylocke appearance)  It's graded at 9.8 by CGC and is an absolutely beautiful sealed copy IMO, but how do I know if I got ripped off or not?  I figure $50-$60 bucks went for the grade/slabe etc, but was the comic in it's raw form worth the extra money? ($100 give or take?)  What do you guys use to price your comics?  I just starting collecting again after a 20 year hiatus or so and back in the day we used to just check the Wizard and be done with it.  With all these graded copies nowadays, does a price guide like this exist or have any bearing on the worth/price of a comic?  Thanks :) 

Edited by frisbee

1 hour ago, frisbee said:

I got another question for you guys & girls if you don't mind.  I just spent $165 on an X-Men #256.  ($150 for the book., $15 for the shipping/Psylocke appearance)  It's graded at 9.8 by CGC and is an absolutely beautiful sealed copy IMO, but how do I know if I got ripped off or not?  I figure $50-$60 bucks went for the grade/slabe etc, but was the comic in it's raw form worth the extra money? ($100 give or take?)  What do you guys use to price your comics?  I just starting collecting again after a 20 year hiatus or so and back in the day we used to just check the Wizard and be done with it.  With all these graded copies nowadays, does a price guide like this exist or have any bearing on the worth/price of a comic?  Thanks :) 

150 is about right . Not a great price but okay. It's puzzling why you are trying to ascertain a slabbed price by considering the slabbing costs in the equation. It does not work like that.  The price is what the market says it is. Hard copy price guides are useless for slabs. You have to research many sources to ascertain FMV. Look at recent auction prices at the major auction houses. Do your homework, there is no one stop shopping.

Hmm...    How about this one; I  just spent $170 for a NYX #4 at an auction.  A beautiful 9.8 sealed copy. (CGC)  Beforehand though I did a little research and saw that one was selling for almost twice as much at a respectable website online.  Whether or not this price is "on the level" so to say I don't know.  This guy could have drawn straws for all I know.  Thoughts?  Thank you. :)

29 minutes ago, frisbee said:

Hmm...    How about this one; I  just spent $170 for a NYX #4 at an auction.  A beautiful 9.8 sealed copy. (CGC)  Beforehand though I did a little research and saw that one was selling for almost twice as much at a respectable website online.  Whether or not this price is "on the level" so to say I don't know.  This guy could have drawn straws for all I know.  Thoughts?  Thank you. :)

170 for a 9.8 NYX 4 is a decent price. The prices have been going down on this book recently and hovering around 200.00 . Looking at an asking price on a dealer's website is useless, useless, useless. Doesn't mean a thing. Only look at Sold prices. Anyway, I don't think you should continue using this thread to ascertain whether your purchases were fairly priced. Sorry but you need to do your own homework.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Anyway, I don't think you should continue using this thread to ascertain whether your purchases were fairly priced. Sorry but you need to do your own homework.

Not worth your time anymore huh?  Wow! I really didn't expect a response like this right off the bat.   At least flatter somebody who might be newer to the hobby than you a little longer.  You know what, I'm done with you.  (IGNORE)

Edited by frisbee

37 minutes ago, frisbee said:

Not worth your time anymore huh?  Wow! I really didn't expect a response like this right off the bat.   At least flatter somebody who might be newer to the hobby than you a little longer.  You know what, I'm done with you.  (IGNORE)

Right off the bat ? I answered your questions 5 times, count em. When your questions started repeatedly being on valuation I said you should do your own homework. You can look these prices up on E-Bay as easily as I can. I stand by my statement.