• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How common is the Rainbow Effect?

8 posts in this topic

I sent in a book I've had since the 90's to be graded and it came back with a lot of what CGC calls "Rainbow Effect".  Does this happen on every book?  It was graded a 9.8 which is cool, but the entire book looks like this.  It's a bit jarring.

rainbow.jpg

4 hours ago, I like pie said:

Asking to have them put in #5 slabs(thicker cases) has solved this issue for the most part(reducing the newton effect by 80%).

Otherwise, they will all have some degree of it and it looks terrible in the newest gen slabs.

So I can ask to have the book slabbed again?

4 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

What's "jarring" about it?

I had no idea a comic book could come back with those spots all over it, so it's a bit aggravating.  Sure it made the book more "valuable", but I have no interest in selling it.  My brother has a bunch of CGC books from 10+ years ago and none of them have this issue. 

My apologies if I am not using the word properly.

verb (used without object)jarred, jarring.

1. to have a harshly unpleasant or perturbing effect on one's nerves,feelings, thoughts, etc.

4 minutes ago, Track17 said:

I had no idea a comic book could come back with those spots all over it, so it's a bit aggravating.  Sure it made the book more "valuable", but I have no interest in selling it.  My brother has a bunch of CGC books from 10+ years ago and none of them have this issue. 

My apologies if I am not using the word properly.

verb (used without object)jarred, jarring.

1. to have a harshly unpleasant or perturbing effect on one's nerves,feelings, thoughts, etc.

I would agree it's jarring. If I didn't find a solution in the thicker cases, I would be submitting elsewhere.