• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Qualified/Restored Musing
1 1

22 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Trim trimmeny, trim trimmeny, trim trim charoo.

What's the verdict on the musings thus far @telerites ? :)

Thanks folks for all of the kind sentiments and thoughts.  I spend nearly 100% of my time in the GA forum, not only because that is what I collect and have interest, but because the people that hang out here are the most kind, most helpful, most knowledgeable, and any any other accolades one could think of.   My intention wasn't to publicize my health issues but during those sessions, it does provide time for reflection and naturally at some point will turn to my favorite hobby.  

Thanks, too, for all of the posts and thoughts on trimming.  As I read through, it did make me think, as stated earlier, if trimming does get more of a bad rap than it should, what does it matter if it was intentional (as long as you, personally, were not victimized) since the result is the same.  I obviously feel it is a heinous offense to intentionally masquerade a book to take advantage of a buyer.  

I doubt seriously if the acceptance of trimmed books increases but I view it differently to a certain degree now.  I won't go shopping for trimmed books but have softened my view.  I guess if I know the book is trimmed, I can make an informed choice, it still displays nicely and from a purely aesthetic point (IMO), more presentable than a book with noticeable pieces missing or even a book that has restored with pieces added.  Heck with trimmed books (unless something has been done to it), it is 100% original.  

Now I am going to get the paper cutter out and trim off all of those nasty hang-overs and have the most uniform raw collection around - lol

My feeling on trimming is that what's done is done. Who, when, why, where .... you'll likely never know & honestly, why should it matter that much to you? The book in front of you is the book in front of you: you want it or you don't. They were all "trimmed" when they were manufactured (sheared more properly). Another aspect of this is that it's too broad a spectrum to just lump ALL trimmed books into one general category. That's similar to simply saying "restored" when describing a book. There's a MASSIVE difference between a front cover edge trim & a whole book whacked on all three sides!!! Just like a spot of color touch & most of an entire cover being airbrushed. HUGE difference. By my eye, a slight trim is one of the least offensive "problems" a book can have. I don't advocate people to go & trim their books, but it IS done at times in the restoration process, hopefully by a trained professional. If they're priced at what I feel is appropriate, I'll buy them. Once again, what's done is done.